• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 Speeds

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hardass said:
Can you run 2100 DDR with 2700

yes, but it will only run as fast as the 2100 will permit (assuming you overclock the mem)

Re: Re: 2 Speeds

cw823 said:

yes, but it will only run as fast as the 2100 will permit (assuming you overclock the mem)

How do you oc memory?

Re: Re: Re: 2 Speeds

hardass said:

How do you oc memory?

You need a motherboard that will let you, by way of divider settings. Some motherboards will give you options like 1-1, or 3-4.

From those settings....let's say your FSB is 133. At the 1-1 setting, your memory is also at 133. At the 3-4 setting, your FSB is still 133, but your memory runs at about 170. That would be the only way. Unless you're well over 133mhz FSB, that PC-2100 should be fine. Chances are you aren't taking full advantage of that PC-2700.

Re: Re: Re: Re: 2 Speeds

cw823 said:

You need a motherboard that will let you, by way of divider settings. Some motherboards will give you options like 1-1, or 3-4.

From those settings....let's say your FSB is 133. At the 1-1 setting, your memory is also at 133. At the 3-4 setting, your FSB is still 133, but your memory runs at about 170. That would be the only way. Unless you're well over 133mhz FSB, that PC-2100 should be fine. Chances are you aren't taking full advantage of that PC-2700.

Where do i look for this setting?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 2 Speeds

hardass said:

Where do i look for this setting?

Check the manual for your motherboard for options in the BIOS. I'm downloading your manual as we speak to check if it will let you OC the mem.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 2 Speeds

cw823 said:

Check the manual for your motherboard for options in the BIOS. I'm downloading your manual as we speak to check if it will let you OC the mem.

Are these the settings, sdram cycle length 2.5
Bank Interleave, Disabled
Precharge to Active (Trp) 2T
Active to Precharge (Tras) 6T
Active to CMD (Tred) 3T
Dram Queue Depth 4 Level
Dram Command Rate 2T

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 2 Speeds

hardass said:

Are these the settings, sdram cycle length 2.5
Bank Interleave, Disabled
Precharge to Active (Trp) 2T
Active to Precharge (Tras) 6T
Active to CMD (Tred) 3T
Dram Queue Depth 4 Level
Dram Command Rate 2T

That's about all I saw in the manual. None of those settings will let you overclock (higher than your FSB for the mem). The only thing I would recommend at those settings is to lower some of your RAM timings to 2. Say, try this

Enabled
1T
5T
2T

1T

If nothing else, get that cas latency to 2.0 from 2.5. Try those other settings....

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 2 Speeds

cw823 said:

That's about all I saw in the manual. None of those settings will let you overclock (higher than your FSB for the mem). The only thing I would recommend at those settings is to lower some of your RAM timings to 2. Say, try this

Enabled
1T
5T
2T

1T

If nothing else, get that cas latency to 2.0 from 2.5. Try those other settings....
Thanks for the help.

Back