• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC2100 or PC2700

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tuzzi

Registered
Memory question for the experts. As this is my first rig I have ever built, and don't plan to OC until I'm a little more comfortable would I be better to start off with PC2100 266mhz. Or would I see a performance increase with PC2700 333mhz on a Asus P4S533 with P4 1.6a. running in stock form.:confused:

Thanks

well if you arent going to up the FSB a quality stick of pc2100
should suit you fine though you may have a better chance to
run at turbo settings and cas 2 on the mem with pc2700.

you will prob. event. want to overclock it so i say spend the
extra 20+$ and get the 2700.

im not sure how the ratios work on p4 boards but again,
i'd go with the 2700! :p

hope this helps!

I suggest you go w/ the pc2700 memory. I will give you better performance than a pc2100 even at the same fsb speed.

A few hours ago I replaced my crucial pc2100 w/ mushkin pc3000 (both 256mb sticks) and that solved my inability to load windows at 150fsb at warm boot. I would get windows protection error if my pc was running prior to rebooting but if I shut it down for at least 5 minutes, my windows would load and run stable.
Sp;ved that problem w/ my pc3000 memory.

It's worth the few extra $$s, believe me. :) :) :)

I've heard that PC2700 runs at about 10% faster rate than 2100. On the contrary, PC2100 is lower priced than 2700. If you need high performance RAM, go with 2700; however for most people, 2100 will work just fine.

Thanks for the replies. I guess it boils down to the Corsair pc2700 cas2, or Samsung pc2700. Any preference? :beer:

tuzzi said:
Thanks for the replies. I guess it boils down to the Corsair pc2700 cas2, or Samsung pc2700. Any preference? :beer:

There is a 'what is the best RAM' poll in the Memory section. Might be an idea to check it out and see what everyone says.

tuzzi said:
Memory question for the experts. As this is my first rig I have ever built, and don't plan to OC until I'm a little more comfortable would I be better to start off with PC2100 266mhz. Or would I see a performance increase with PC2700 333mhz on a Asus P4S533 with P4 1.6a. running in stock form.:confused:

Thanks

Go PC2700 Samsung or Corsair XMS3000.

Trust me, you'll get the urge to overclock, and that 1.6a hits mad FSBs with good components. Either way their all about the same prices now.

my personal preference is Corsair, had nothing but good results from them. There alot of good reviews from people who have used samsung too, so it's a toss up.

I offer two advise when building a system
dont go cheap on the motherboard
dont go cheap on the memory

You already followed the first advised by getting a ASUS board, now dont skip on the memory.

i have a corsair pc2700 XMS at 204fsb cas 2.5 6-3-2 at 2.9v right now perfectly stable (memtest)

i hear samsung can do 200 fsb easy also (some do 220 even)....

i haven't tried going higher yet tho

Back