• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DX 8.1 for XP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nismo Nate

I think I've seen some systems with DX 8.1 on XP's machine's however on Microsoft's site, it's only says 8.1 is compatible with, 2000, 98, and ME. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.asp

Are XP users running it anyway? Or is there I different link I'm not seeing?

:edit: I just read 8.1 comes with XP, but on all my games and Geforce settings and 3Dmark it says I have 8.0. If I installed 8.0 by mistake from game would it have overwritten 8.1?

directx is not meant to be removed so you can realy screw things up by doing that. there is a program for that but id not recommend you to do it.
you say its not showing up, what your mean?
btw you cant install a previous version either. directx accepts only to be updated.

also, directx is not a program youll see in your desktop or programs menu. its just a drivers database that will improve your os multimedia resources. you can run the directx diagnose utility located in the "program files/directx/setup/dxdiag.*". you can see the version there also make some tests.

in the dxdiagnose check if you have no problems with the files in the files tab.

try running it now. its possible it will re-detect or it can just keep the same. as long as you got 8.1 installed you wont have a problem just by 3dmark not reads it well.

i ran it and went into the system info and it still says 8.0, i know it will still run right, i just want it to say 8.1!!:eek: heh it's confusing. I guess i will reinstall it and see how that works. thanks for your help:beer:

I think XP comes with 8.0a if I remember right.

I don't think a point release of DirectX would lead to huge performance differences, at any rate. The feature set is still the same, they can't include more features until they release a new version (as in, 9) to meet the DirectX hardware specifications that are released.

sb

I know xp pro comes with 8.1 I'm not sure about the home version though. also you can't uninstall it easily and a game will not install 8.0 over 8.1. at least according to microsoft.

XP Home, Pro, and Corporate were all released with 8.1 as the default. What version of 3DMark are you running? Is it 2001, or 2001SE?

Have you tried upgrading to 2001SE? 2001 had native support for 8.0, 2001SE for 8.1. I don't know why this would make a difference on your system, but it may be the reason. Try upgrading and see what happens.

Back