• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

One bad stick of Corsair?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OnDborder

Well here's one for ya'..

I ran the simmtester program on both sticks of Corsair, 128 and 256, separately and together for numerous loops. All tests passed in all loops. Buuuuttttt, when I go to install windoze 98 it crashes(usually a SUWIN or user.exe or krnl386.exe error message) when the 256 stick is in there with or without the 128. With the 128, alone, windoze98 installs ok.

What's up with this???

Sounds like something is on the border of failing.

Try setting the memory voltage .1 or .2v higher.

Try changing the memory timings to a slower setting.

Try changing the hard drive and cd rom settings from auto to pio mode 2 in the bios.

If you have a cd-rom slaved to a hard drive try changing it to its own ide channel.

If you have access to another system try the 256mb module in it.

Last edited:
Placid said:
Sounds like something is on the border of failing.

Try setting the memory voltage .1 or .2v higher.

Try changing the memory timings to a slower setting.

Try changing the hard drive and cd rom settings from auto to pio mode 2 in the bios.

If you have a cd-rom slaved to a hard drive try changing it to its own ide channel.

If you have access to another system try the 256mb module in it.

"Try changing the hard drive and cd rom settings from auto to pio mode 2 in the bios." What does this do?

Ok, on the voltage increase, I didn't try that.
The memory settings were on "auto".
No cd slaved.
Well I went and did it, bought an 8k3a+ board, I'll try it in there.
I also went up and bought a stick of 256 2100 mushkin, at Fry's, for 50 bux.

Thanks for the reply..

Confirmation;
Even though this stick of Corsair 2400 256 passed the simmtester and SiSoft's memory burn-in, it crashed 3DMark 2001se.
I put in a stick of 256 Mushkin 2100(50bucks), ran the test and passed with a score of 10,650.

Back