• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How good is the Samsung PC-2700 RAM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Coolest

I'm planing on buying a new mobo and some DDR PC-2700 and I keep hearing that Samsung is just the best and from what I've seen in a recent thread that it was doing 229FSB!!!! I just couldn't believe it! My question is mainly will it go over 166MHz at all or a little or a whole lot, I'm planing on trying to run it at the highest settings, but if a lower setting will yeld a boost in speed that in the end will give better performance over the highest settings, I'll go with it.

Those guys who have this memory, could u please post the settings and scores you are getting with ur Samsub PC-2700?

The Coolest said:
I'm planing on buying a new mobo and some DDR PC-2700 and I keep hearing that Samsung is just the best and from what I've seen in a recent thread that it was doing 229FSB!!!! I just couldn't believe it! My question is mainly will it go over 166MHz at all or a little or a whole lot, I'm planing on trying to run it at the highest settings, but if a lower setting will yeld a boost in speed that in the end will give better performance over the highest settings, I'll go with it.

Those guys who have this memory, could u please post the settings and scores you are getting with ur Samsub PC-2700?
could you please post a link to that 229 thingy? i would go with kingmax personally, you can get the pc3200 for $91.95 here :D my pc2700 is currently running at 386mgz.:eek:

A lot over 166mhz on the right motherboard.
I get 2910/2908 sandra score at 204 2.5-2-2 6 1T with the intel system in my sig.

I have tested the memory to 220mhz stable but I hvae to run my cpu at far less than max overclock to use that speed due to the locked cpu that maxes at 136fsb.

There is also a memory comparison here where the samsung did 244mhz, but 215mhz seems to be about what the average stick will do max stable.

http://www.subzerotech.com/reviews/hardware/memory/ddr333roundup/index5.shtml

If you decide to buy some get original samsung, some places are selling samsung chips on 3rd party pcb's. Not saying these 3rd party sticks are all bad but you take a risk with these.

Newegg is a good source for genuine samsung.

I bought 2x256mb sticks of kingmax 3200 when it first came out and I was really unhappy with it. It would only run 205mhz max.
I returned it. I do like the kingmax 2700 I have but it's not as good as the samsung.

Last edited:
Re: Re: How good is the Samsung PC-2700 RAM?

jdmcnudgent said:
could you please post a link to that 229 thingy? i would go with kingmax personally, you can get the pc3200 for $91.95 here :D my pc2700 is currently running at 386mgz.:eek:

It's actually $89 at Newegg. $3 is $3, man! =)

Here is the Sandra results on the 229Mhz thingy:
memory2.JPG

I don't know how to show a pic on the speed so you believe me, but I ain't lying. What program should I use?

You can't prove it, but as a fellow sis645 user I know you can't get that kind of memory score from the chipset unless you are at 220+.

Last edited:
To reach this speed I had to put a little heatsink on the IC chip. The chip next to the RAM that regulates the voltage to RAM (I think).

I reached this speed before the hs was on, but after a couple of hours the computer shutdown. but now it's all stable. :)

Very nice, but to be fair and not get everyone thinking if I buy the samsung 2700 I too can get the same speeds it's not a sure thing many people get sticks that max out at 214-216 on the sis645 but there definatly are some better than average sticks out there that will do amazing speeds for 2700 not that 214 isn't good for memory rated 167mhz.

Last edited:
If you're getting DDR get either the Samsung PC2700 or Corsair PC3000 (which is basically handpicked PC2700). I've used every DDR concievable and those two are by far the best. Samsung's DDR400 was quite disappointing, but are made for KT400 boards, so the only way to see it's true potential is to wait for them to come out.

Back