• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie Ram Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gozma

What exactly is the difference between RDRam and DDR? and what is each one used for?

Rambus is QDR means that is quad data rate or 4 times as fast as your FSB(front side bus)

DDR is DDR this means Double Data Rate or twice as fast as your FSB

rambus is less oc freindly but as it has a higher bandwidth than DDR you get alot more from a little bit of overclock.

ddr can overclock like a beast but its memory bandwidth isnt as good at 133mhz its bandwidth is 2100MB/sec but now days people have DDR running at 200mhz and some over @ 200mhz ddr is rated at 3200MB/sec which as you can see is a considerable improvment and as dual channel ddr is soon to come out it will give it a better edge on rd ram

i am building my own setup soon. I will be using an Intel P4 2.2ghz most likely..... what Ram would be best for that?

well you have the choice of rd and ddr

I would recommend rd...

if your a serious overclocker...as the guy said DDR will suit you much better...you know the setup of RD, and how it comes in pairs and how you need CRIMM to suplement memory banks?

no sorry, i don't know what that means... this is my first setup i am building. I have only really worked with SDRam. I am not a serious overclocker now... but i would like the chance to beable to one day.

you should look at geting an athlon cpu if you want to oc alot. yes the p4 can increase in bmhz alot but it doesnt have as much effect as a little bit of athlon oc. the athlons are easier to oc and are cheeper to boot. they run on ddr base and there are alot of chipsets out that can keep the pci bus in spec even at a much higer fsb than it should ever run.

i have never overclocked before, and i basically just want to start learning basics. By the time i would be big into overclocking i would probably be getting another computer. So i think i want to stick with the P4 2.2ghz for now. So what ram would be fastest for that?

the rd ram will be faster but trust me athlons are 100% easier to oc. well its up to you if your goina get intell are are just learing to oc get rambus

definetly go with the RD then if you dont want to oc, you will get like DDR oced performance as standard...

and as for "athlons being 100% easier to oc" that is just bs, and should not really be listened to...and if your "just learning to oc" rambus would be the last thing I would consider getting...

and as for the CRIMM stuff...you will most likely get the i850 or similar chipset...this comes with 4 RIMM slots...which are split into 2 banks...in which ALL 4 have to be filled...so the joy is that you will get 2x CRIMM with your mobo - these are ram sticks minus the ram chips, they are just there so you dont have to fork out for 4 sticks of ram, also RDRAM comes in pairs...so if you want 512 for instance....:

you could have-
BANK 0
BANK 1

or-
BANK 0
BANK 1
CRIMM
CRIMM

they are literally the only combinations, as you have to fill out bank 0 first...

apart from all that nonsence, rdram = choice memory :)

but if i do plan to start learning to overclock some i should go with DDR? and how much?

if your are seriously considering totally overclocking your machine, then yes DDR is the road to go down...

I dont have any experience in oc/ing DDR - but from what I have picked up in these forums you will need it fast... PC3000 etc.

this is just to keep it stable at your higher FSB...

RDRAM isnt totaly nadgers for ocing, just its more prone to become very unstable...

that is upto you - 512 is a nice number though :)

I dont know whether having more RAM gives you more chance of bumping into problems...but I shouldnt imagine you wil once you find a nice oc you can settle to...

ok if you get ddr your best route is to get 256mb sticks of samsung pc2700 dont waste mony on the pc 3200 samsung cus its just overclocked pc2700 wait about a month till the release true pc3200

btw the reason i said athlons are alot easier to overclock is one there are alot more boards that support good oc. also the freed multiplier on older athlons or with just a little more work with the xp's

ninthebin said:
if your are seriously considering totally overclocking your machine, then yes DDR is the road to go down...

I dont have any experience in oc/ing DDR - but from what I have picked up in these forums you will need it fast... PC3000 etc.

this is just to keep it stable at your higher FSB...

RDRAM isnt totaly nadgers for ocing, just its more prone to become very unstable...

If you are doing serious overclocking, PC2700 will work just fine.

Also, it is true that overclocking is much easier with Athlons, due to the wide range of motherboards that support it.

the fact is, you need a motherboard that supports overclocking...and whether your getting AMD or Intel based boards...there are boards available for both which have good overclocking...

plus I never said it wasnt easier, but he said it was 100% easier, and I said that was bs...

so :p

Back