• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

page fault

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RnPgrosz

I'm using a stick of 512 mb corsair xms3000 in my system. I can't see to run stable over 184 or 185 fsb. I get the BSOD with something like page fault in non-paged area and sometimes IRQL not less or equal. I have a hunch its my ram, maybe I got a bad stick? I did search for previous posts about this but wasn't able to find anything concrete about how these errors are caused. Is ther anything else that could be causing this problem? I think my xp stepping is ackga. Another thing, I was able to loop 3dmark and did some sisoft sandra benchmarking at 185 fsb but then when I started to play return to castle wolfenstein I got the BSOD almost immediately. BTW this an xp 1700 running at 9 multi. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
rnpgrosz said:
I'm using a stick of 512 mb corsair xms3000 in my system. I can't see to run stable over 184 or 185 fsb. I get the BSOD with something like page fault in non-paged area and sometimes IRQL not less or equal. I have a hunch its my ram, maybe I got a bad stick? I did search for previous posts about this but wasn't able to find anything concrete about how these errors are caused. Is ther anything else that could be causing this problem? I think my xp stepping is ackga. Another thing, I was able to loop 3dmark and did some sisoft sandra benchmarking at 185 fsb but then when I started to play return to castle wolfenstein I got the BSOD almost immediately. BTW this an xp 1700 running at 9 multi. Thanks for the help.
These errors are usually caused by badly writen software, where two apps try to use the same part of memory at the same time. Other causes are ussally bad RAM, drivers, HDD errors. In your case most likely your ram has hit its limits....

Right now I am looping the simmtester and I will se how that goes... So I guess I should RMA.:( For the price I paid for this ram I am dissapointed. My timings aren't agressive either. Anybody else have any more input?

Drop the cpu multipler lower so you know your cpu is not the problem. Your other componets should be ok since the 8K3A+ has a 1/5 pci divder. Pc 3000 is guaranteed to run up to 183mhz.

Maybe try using a different memory voltage setting or slower timings.

It has looped the memory test 4 times so far in simmtester and it has passed everything. At 9.5x179 It was not stable, so could it be that I have a lousy stepping? Currently my timings are normal and I'm running the ram at 2.8v. Is there anyway I can specificaly test the stability of the cpu? Should I try looping si soft sandra burn in for the cpu benchmarks?

Just lower the cpu multiplier so the cpu is close to default speed and if you can run stable at 184mhz then it's not the memory but suggests the cpu.

You might also try lowering the memory voltage it might not like 2.8v

Thanks for the tip Placid. I will try running the multi at 8 and fsb around 188. I noticed that my network card and sound card are on the same IRQ, could this cause a problem?

Ok so how how can I get them off the same IRQ and which IRQ should I put them on? Right now they are both on 11. Well now I am running at 8.5x190 and seems stable so far but I will have to do some testing. My cpu's limit seems to be somewhere around 1670 so maybe my cpu is holding me back, I was never able to get over 185 fsb stable while running the multi at 9x. I would like to come to a conclusion today because there is a big computer show tomorrow and I was hoping to buy a new xp 1700 if that was the problem.

If you want to stop the irq sharing you are going to have to move one of the cards that are sharing to a different slot.
Look in your motherboard manual it should tell you what slots share irq's.

]If you are running WinXP you will have to disable ACPI..~I believe all PCI'S run on IRQ11 in XP~NOTE! this will cause you to have to reinstall all drivers..

Last edited:
Sometimes winxp will put all devices on one irq but this is not alway's the case. I have installed winxp on three different systems and have not had this happen yet.

Here is my irq list and yes acpi is enabled on irq 9.

Placid said:
Sometimes winxp will put all devices on one irq but this is not alway's the case. I have installed winxp on three different systems and have not had this happen yet.

Here is my irq list and yes acpi is enabled on irq 9.
Do you have ACPI set to standard PC? If not, Can you explain how you did that? My (and every pc I've built with XP) has always yielded the same results ..:confused:

The bios for the system used above only choice it has is acpi enabled or disabled.

I didn't try to do anything special other than just install winxp.

So far I have installed winxp on the following motherboards with the same result with acpi enabled.

Epox 8K7A
Epox 4SDA+
Iwill xp-333

Like I said above I have heard that winxp will sometimes put all devices on one irq but I have yet to have that happen. Since rnpgrosz only had two shares I feel his is simply caused by the devices are in motherboard slots that share a irq rather than a windows situation.

Last edited:
I was able to get the sound card and network off the same IRQ. The one problem I did have was with the ACPI. I can not get into windows with it disabled, it freezes at the splash screen. There were 3 options under ACPI, something like s1,s3 or s1 and 3( I dont totally remember but I tried all of them and it still froze. Also when I did the memory test with simmtester at 193 I got weird characters on the screen and stuff like that, but It semmed like the memory test was going okay. I will try 193 fsb again since I have hopefully fixed the irq issue. Any more ideas? It seems to me like the cpu is the problem, but I think there is also some other part of my system causing problems as well(hopefully the IRQ resources).

Edit: I tried 192 fsb and I got weird characters all over the screen when it was booting, and it looked all messed up. What causes this? I would like to get to the bottom of this pretty soon since I will have a chance to buy an xp 1700 tomorrow.

Last edited:
The 8K3A has a problem that can start as low as 190mhz that you start getting pixeled graphics even in the bios it has nothing to do with the memory or your parts its a "bug" with the board or rather the KT333 chipset as the abit KT333 does the same thing.

Last edited:
Is there anyway I can try to get around it? Should I try the new 2403 BIOS?

rnpgrosz do u run zonealarm and winxp?
because i had that irql_not_less_or_equal message and im told xp+za can cause the problem i dont know if its correct or not so ive installed norton firewall and so far so good

Back