• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie looking for guidance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PostalWorker

Registered
I'm kinda new to the overclocking field put presently have my 1.6 MHz intel P4 running at 2133Mhz.
After reading a lot of posts and guides I upgraded my case from a no name to the ANTEC1030, added more fans and upgraded the stock heatsink and fan to the Volcano 7+.

All I did to get to the 2133 was select it in BIOS and it altered the FSB to 133 (and i imageine some other changes) but without altering core voltages etc.
This set up is very stable and idles at 41C (fan is set at lowest speed) and under full load (SisoftSandra burn -in) stabalizes at 50C.

What I would like to get outa the system is a stable 2.2Mhz but I am confused about the steps I should take to get it - Vcore voltage, CAS memory timing, FSB increase.

Can anyone tell me the next logical steps I should take to reach 2.2??

welcome PostalWorker.
you can keep the same.
id just recommend you to go for the medium speed in the volcano fan, then you keep increasing FSB by 5MHz at once, dont forget to test stability for a few hours after raising it.
once you get instability, if temperatures are ok (id say up to 50ºC under full load - althought that wont give you much room for a vcore increase) the next step should be increasing the voltage.
watch temperatures and also other components functionality. after 133MHz youre running buses (pci, agp, usb) out of specs. to increase the voltage should cause better stability, so this is the solution as long as you cant get it from rainsing the voltage: there is where you get to the limit - temperatures and stability are the limit.

you got a good hsf which will give you some room for overclock: you get to change the fan speed to the medium at least, going higher is up to you - this will possibly give you some more room for a few more MHz; once again, dont forget to test your pci, agp (even usb) buses beyond that.

Back