• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

problem with multiplier unlocked part

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wolvie999

Hi folks,

was hoping someone could help me out with a small issue. I have in my sweaty little hands a multiplier unlocked 2.4GHz
Northwood chip. I recently purchased a ABIT TH7-ii MB.

Turns out for some reason, it won't let me set my multiplier higher
than 19x (20x with the latest ABIT beta bios). So with the 100MHz FSB I can't go any faster than 1.9 or 2 GHz. At 133MHz
FSB with a 3X RDRAM, I run just slightly unstable, but at 100 everything is rock solid. I just want the 24x multipler to work so I can run at 2.4GHz at the 100MHz FSB speed.

I think that perhaps the multiplier unlocked setting is confusing the BIOS somehow and it is defaulting to a safe maximum multiplier. How do I overcome this? Is there a different BIOS I can try, or perhaps a DIP switch on the MB itself? Oh, by the way, I have also tried the latest bios from Mr. Natural's site (nice work Mr. Natural! :) ), but that one, aside from it's very nice other features, also seems to default the max multiplier setting to 19x.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Wolvie999 said:
Hi folks,

was hoping someone could help me out with a small issue. I have in my sweaty little hands a multiplier unlocked 2.4GHz
Northwood chip. I recently purchased a ABIT TH7-ii MB.

Turns out for some reason, it won't let me set my multiplier higher
than 19x (20x with the latest ABIT beta bios). So with the 100MHz FSB I can't go any faster than 1.9 or 2 GHz. At 133MHz
FSB with a 3X RDRAM, I run just slightly unstable, but at 100 everything is rock solid. I just want the 24x multipler to work so I can run at 2.4GHz at the 100MHz FSB speed.

I think that perhaps the multiplier unlocked setting is confusing the BIOS somehow and it is defaulting to a safe maximum multiplier. How do I overcome this? Is there a different BIOS I can try, or perhaps a DIP switch on the MB itself? Oh, by the way, I have also tried the latest bios from Mr. Natural's site (nice work Mr. Natural! :) ), but that one, aside from it's very nice other features, also seems to default the max multiplier setting to 19x.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

The multiplier unlocked setting doesn't confuse anything except maybe you. If you bought a retail P4 then your P4 in no way can be unlocked via the bios no matter how much you wish it would. If it's a 2.4ghz P4A then your multiplier should go to 24x if you are using the latest TH7II bios. If it only goes as high as 20x then you eother don't have the latest bios installed or you do not have a 2.4 P4.

If it is an unlocked P4 then the problem is with the bios for the Abit boards from what I've found with the unlocked units I have which will not let me go higher than 19x either. I'm really not sure as to why they are doing like that but I have a couple unlocked here and none wtll do a multiplier over 19x.

So in other words, there's some problem with the ABIT bios and multiplier unlocked parts....great.....maybe I'll try calling ABIT tech support again... *sigh*

I know that the new ASUS board lets you set these parts to 24x just fine. Oh well...

Back