• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC 2100 holding me back?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bdf24

I cannot run my FSB higher then 143mhz without it kicking me back to the desktop while running any 3D app's. I think it's the ram cause whether I raise or lower the CPU multiplier make's no difference. It still happen's if I go higher then 143mhz FSB. I've tried everything from the fastest ram setting's to the slowest. I've also tried switching from 4X agp to 2X, turning fast write's on and off as well. Thinking it could be my AGP. But it's happened with my Radeon 64 DDR and now with my 8500 as well. Unless the board's AGP bus just does'nt like to be out of spec? I don't know?
Any idea's? How are some of you getting 150mhz FSB and higher with PC 2100? I'm going to try installing a fan near the ram to see if it's heat when I get time.

All of my system spec's are in my sig.

Usually memory will clock higher when there is less. So if your 512mb is 2x256 removing one stick should allow you to at least do 1mhz higher than with 512mb if the problem is the memory holding you back.

What kind of ram is it. My crucial at fastest timmings does 170 at 2.8v Its running now at 160. See if you can possibly up the v-dimm.

It's Micron ram. I can up the voltage for the ram. But that allow's me to post and get into window's at a higher FSB. But I still cannot run any 3D app's. It will kick back to the desktop.

Sounds lik eits time for some new ram then. The ATI cards are generaly good to suoer high FSB. Audiman has run his 8500 at over 200 fsb and been able to still run 3dmark. I think that he was using corsair 2700.

Micron ram isnt very good for overclocking. Right now i have 3 sticks of 256mb and the best i got was 150mhz. At 155mhz it didnt get into windows. I didnt try 151-152-153... i didnt think it was really worth it. 150mhz was with best timings except 2Tcmd. Its more difficult to overclock when you have multiple sticks. Try vdimm at 2.8v and hope for the best.

Micron being crucial I beg to differ. My ram has held up super well and is probally some of the best o/c ram at 2100 speeds that I can think of.

Unless you've proved it's RAM, it might not be.

Try CPUBurn with the MMX tests at 64M RAM - that's a real stress test. If the machine and RAM can survive that, it may be something else. Try the RAM in another machine at hish FSB.

Also, have you unlocked the L1 bridges on your CPU. If not, your multiplier adjustments may be ignored. Do you actually see a change in CPU performance with the multiplier adjustments? If not, then you're not changing the multiplier, and it could be the CPU limitation.

Having only one application crash, without taking the operating system, doesn't SOUND like a RAM failure (although it certainly could be). There are situations where drivers work at slower speeds, but some bug is excited when things get fast enough to knock the software 'out of sync' - or out of control.

The point is, you need to PROVE the RAM is the problem, by isolating it from the whole system.

{PMS}fishy said:
Micron being crucial I beg to differ. My ram has held up super well and is probally some of the best o/c ram at 2100 speeds that I can think of.

Its the other way around. Crucial is a division of Micron and Crucial chips have proven to be better. Im not saying Micron isnt a good RAM producer, i love Micron. But Crucial chips are in a different class. They overclock higher and withstand better timings.

jasonlylevene said:
Unless you've proved it's RAM, it might not be.

Try CPUBurn with the MMX tests at 64M RAM - that's a real stress test. If the machine and RAM can survive that, it may be something else. Try the RAM in another machine at hish FSB.

Also, have you unlocked the L1 bridges on your CPU. If not, your multiplier adjustments may be ignored. Do you actually see a change in CPU performance with the multiplier adjustments? If not, then you're not changing the multiplier, and it could be the CPU limitation.

Having only one application crash, without taking the operating system, doesn't SOUND like a RAM failure (although it certainly could be). There are situations where drivers work at slower speeds, but some bug is excited when things get fast enough to knock the software 'out of sync' - or out of control.

The point is, you need to PROVE the RAM is the problem, by isolating it from the whole system.
Yes my L1's are partially unlocked. I can get up to 11.5 multiplier. I know it's unlocked cause every peice of software I have to check CPU speed say'a 1650mhz. I'm not I can run all kind's of CPU stress program's and the system won't crash. I've tried all kind's of different driver's for my vid card with no luck.
Once thing I sort of forgot about is my Sound Blaster live. Maybe I'll try taking that out tonight to see if that's the problem.

Back