• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice on overcloking 1.6A

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jbo

Hi,

I'm new to the boards but tomorrow I'll be getting myself a new system with an ASUS P4S533, P4 1.6A and 512Mb of Samsung DDR333.

Now from what I've heard it should be pretty easy of overclocking the CPU @ 2.1-133 (with standard HSF), but I was wondering if it would be necessary to get better memory than the Samsung ([email protected])?

Another thing I'd like to know is if I should change my PSU? It is currently an ANTEC 300w P4 compliant PP-303XP (it came with my case SX830).

Since I work in a computer store I was able to get the specs of the CPU from the side of the box. Here they are:

PROD CODE : BX80532PC1600DSL668
MM# : 844085
FPO/BATCH # : 3209A072 (2002, WEEK 09, BATCH 72)
VERSION # : A82110-003
PACK DATE : 03/28/02

I've heard that the version 003 was easier to O/C, is that true? And it is also true that CPUs Made in Malaysia are better?

Thanks for your reply.

jbo

Samsung DDR 333 memory is very good. It is even listed in the P4S533 manual as certified memory. Keep it. Since you can always adjust memory setting for OC. Memory does not seem to be a big factor on OC.

PSU. Yours are very good too. I built a system for a friend with non-p4 complaint (just an old 300W), and it works perfectly. ASUS has a EZ-Plug for those who don't have a P4 PSU.

1.6A's are very good overclocker. No matter what the plant or date. It can reach 2.4GHz with very high probability. It depends on your other components also. Because P4S533 does not have PCI/AGP freq. lock. you other components should also be able to stand 150+ FSB.

Thanks for your feedback visionguru!

2 Questions...

Since you can always adjust memory setting for OC.
Are you talking about CAS Latency? Do you mean I could somehow adjust it to CL2@333

you other components should also be able to stand 150+ FSB.
I plan on putting a MSI Geforce 4 TI4400 in this system and maybe my old ATI Tv tuner, any probability it won't work?

Please enlighten me!

Thanks you!

jbo

P4S533 has memory tweaking capabilities, you can adjust cas latency and also voltage and also ratio w.r.t. FSB. Basically, you can always adjust the memory setting to make sure the memory will not affected by your oc attempt.

The GF4 Ti 4400 certainly works very well on P4S533 (I tested my Ti 4600 on it). Ati TV tuner, not so sure.

jbo said:

I plan on putting a MSI Geforce 4 TI4400 in this system and maybe my old ATI Tv tuner, any probability it won't work?

It'll work..you'll just get a lot of quirks. Not to mention, the last time ATi updated drivers for their TV tuner was sometime '01.

Alright, I've put up my system together and it works perfectly @ 133/2.13 with the MSI Ti4400. Didn't try with my TV Tuner yet, hopefully I'll try that soon.

Now, I was wondering what benefits I would get from changing the memory voltage with the jumper on the board? Would that overclock my memory to 400mhz? Will it affect th system in other ways than memory related?

Thanks for your replies!

jbo

Now, I was wondering what benefits I would get from changing the memory voltage with the jumper on the board? Would that overclock my memory to 400mhz? Will it affect th system in other ways than memory related?

Don't mess with it unless your memory becomes unstable at the speed your running it at. It doesn't overclock your memory at all by changing it, your memory is dependant of your FSB. If you have the option to adjust the memory multiplier on your board set it to 3:4, that will run your memory at 178Mhz which it should be able to handle.

Back