• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Temp - which is right

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PostalWorker

Registered
I have seen a lot of info on the forums about the incorrect CPU temps given by PC_Probe (stuck at 40 C) and using probe version 2.15.07 that came with my board I see the same thing.
Since I'm new and want the correct info I switched to Motherboard monitor 5 which shows my idle CPU temp at 41 C and 48 at full load. board stays the same at around 26
(from my readings this CPU # seems rather high)

I have just downloaded and installed PC_probe 2.16.08 and it has fixed the temperature bug (no longer locked at 40)

Now it shows my CPU at 24 and my board at 26 (idle)!!!!
(picture shows MBM5 display inside probe readout)

That is a huge discrepancy between MBM5 and Probe. I notice that MBM5 as the ability to build in a temp offset to correct readings but I dont want to use it unless I can be sure that it is the correct thing to do and that i wont fry my chip.

anny comments/advice???

I would trust MBM5 over Probe. It doesn't sound like Probe is getting the correct reading for your cpu. I have never seen a processor run as cool as the board unless you use extreme measures like liquid nitrogen or a pelt. If I were you I would stick to MBM5. I love Asus boards but there monitor program needs work.

And Welcome to the Forums.

Daniel

Thanks for the feedback - after following a few leads I recondfigured MBM5 to use ASUS 2 probe to measure CPU temp (previosely I had used ASUS2(CUSL) as no other probe would give me any reading at all)
Now both Probe and MBM5 give me a CPU temp of 24 (1 deg C cooler than the board temp)

I cant explain but like you say I am suspicious of both these readings. :(

PostalWorker said:
Thanks for the feedback - after following a few leads I recondfigured MBM5 to use ASUS 2 probe to measure CPU temp (previosely I had used ASUS2(CUSL) as no other probe would give me any reading at all)
Now both Probe and MBM5 give me a CPU temp of 24 (1 deg C cooler than the board temp)

I cant explain but like you say I am suspicious of both these readings. :(

CPU temp CAN NOT be lower than MB temp. More likely is that the previous settings were correct!

You can try - put your hand on the heatsing.

IF the CPU temp would be 24, then the heatsing temp is somewhat like 20, and that meens COOL. So if the heatsink is anywhere near WORM, the reading is WRONG. Try this a few hours after you turned on the computer

Plan B

After doing more reading and getting friends with the same mobo to check their temperatures I am frustrated by the apparent lack of quality and reliability of ASUS mb temperature sensors.
I can understand that the CPU sensor temps may vary due to manufacturing tolerances (the temp thermistor does not touch the cpu body but is a little distance away and thus subject to eroneous readings, this distance, and thus the reading, will vary from board to board based on the manufacturing tolerances) but the mobo temp sensor should be more reliable - obviousley its not!!

I intend to drill a hole in the now discarded intel heat sink (probably around 1/32nd dia) and mount it back on the mobo with the fan disconected. I have a thermocouble that i will feed through the hole until it touches the cpu and will take and compare idle reading when I boot up (i will only do this for a short period of time obviously). After that I will set the correct offset into my temp monitoring software.

Does this sound reasonable????

also, is it feasable to bridge the gap between the boards thermistor and CPU such that the thermistor contacts the the underside of the CPU. I envisage measuring the gap with a straight edge against the socket and checking the gap to thermistor with feeler guages - and then bridging the gap with a tiny piece of tinfoil very slightly thicker so that it is slightly compressed. sound reasonable??? what material for the pridge would be better (a conductive putty of some sort maybe???)

thx

Temperature Update

So, I drilled the hole in the stock heatsink and fed the thermocouple probe through and ran the system up. To cut a long story short I found that the board temp sensor for the CPU was 4 Deg C on the low side (PC_Probe and MBM5 both showed 26 at idle but thermocouple showed it to actualy be 30 C) this could be because the board sensor is under the CPU? were as i was taking readings from the top.
Interestingly as the CPU temp climed the board sensor became more and more inacurate (ie at 45C on my thermocouple the asus board read 38)
I have set up MBM5 with a temp offset of 7 degrees to air on the safe side.

As for Motherboard temp being lower than CPU temp - I have found that this VERY MUCH depends on the positioning of my front case fan! I have an ANTEC 1030 case and I moved the fan from the bottom fan holder to the upper holder (a distance of about 4 inches) and found my board temp went up 4 deg C. My conclusion is that earlier I was blowing air directly over the board temp sensor and now I am not.

Anyway those are my not so exciting results into the realms of accurate temp measurements maybe it'll help someone else if they get questionable readings on an ASUS board.

Back