• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

512meg OCZ PC3000 posts as 256meg!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pmorcos

Registered
Put a stick of 512meg OCZ PC3000 into my Asus a7m266-D and it posted to 256 meg so I sent it back for a new stick.
They sent me a "new" stick and again it's posting as 256 meg.
Either I've been duped or there's an incompatability.
Anyone ever heard of these problems with this memory?

dood,
OCZ is not *real* memory!
There were a bunch of threads here at overclockers.com awhile back proving this beyond *ANY* doubt! Problem is the owners and mods here at overclockers.com didn't like the truth being told for some *unknown* reason, so they pulled all the threads!............ go figure?

And yes I tried it, and would never, ever buy it again!

Cheers,
Mike Lamb

Mike360000 said:
dood,
OCZ is not *real* memory!
There were a bunch of threads here at overclockers.com awhile back proving this beyond *ANY* doubt! Problem is the owners and mods here at overclockers.com didn't like the truth being told for some *unknown* reason, so they pulled all the threads!............ go figure?

And yes I tried it, and would never, ever buy it again!

Cheers,
Mike Lamb

Sure its real memory. The problem with it was that it wouldn't hit the FSB it was said it would. I heard that there new stuff works better tho, sounds like you just have a 256mb chip.
look on the ram itself if theres no heatspreader on it and see how much mb there is perchip and add them up.

I'm happy with my ocz... I got my fsb up to 420 mhz with it... I think I can get it up higher if my scsi card was taken out too, but I need it for my burner...

"Sure its real memory. The problem with it was that it wouldn't hit the FSB it was said it would."

It's real memeory from the standpoint that it's ram, BUT it's not *real* oc'ing memory or ram!

Sure it is possible to get a stick of OCZ that oc's, but it is a hit or miss thing. And if you happen to be one of the many unfortunant ones, then good luck in trying to get OCZtechnologies to replace it. Of course they they may very well replace in due time and enough aggravation from the unlucky consumer.

I've been trying now for the past 2 months to get some good oc'ing ram that is cheaper than Corsair or Mushkin, and I've had problems every time, *especially* considering my OCZ experience. So last night I finally broke down, bit the bullet and bought some ram that is known for its' oc'ing abilities. I done what I had been doing in the past, I bought me some Corsair ram, a 512 meg stick of 3200 DDR. I've had over 2 dozen sticks of Corsair ram in the past and never had a bad stick, or one that failed to oc to exceptional levels!

Here's a good link as to how well OCZ stacks up against the big boys:

http://www.hardwareluxx.de/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=next_topic&f=6&t=000014&go=newer

http://www.hardwareluxx.de/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=6&t=000015&p=11

My question is; Why take chances, standing to lose more money and not being completely satisfied with anything other than the best names in oc'ing ram?

Cheers,
Mike Lamb

Last edited:
thanks for the input... good discucssion

One thing that really gets me is how these companies are putting heat spreaders on their memory and then saying the "warranty is void if removed". It keeps the consumer from being able to see what they're really getting.

I managed to peak under this heat spreader, and although I can't tell whether it has 8x32 or 8x64 meg chips, I could tell that the chips were samsung although all the reviews suggest it has Hynix chips.

The story unfolds.... tomorrow should be interesting.

Turned out nothing wrong with the memory.

I spoke with OCZ today (which were very nice people BTW) and it turns out they are using Samsung chips in this memory to get the 2T timings.
I tested the memory in a board at work and it posted 512meg so it turns out that my dual board does not support the memory.
I guess i'm "stuck" with my high-quality rock-steady Apacer memory. wahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
:(

it happened to me on one of my A7M266-D too. i have 2 stick of Corsair XMS2400 256MB on it, but it only said 384MB from the BIOS & WinXP. i took one out, it seems fine. u know, on the duallie board like this, sure u could use non ECC, non registered memory (what i'm using on both of mine), but it seems like using ECC, registered memory might actually a better idea.....

Back