• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is there a 'best' bios for p4t-e?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I would suggest you go with the 1006beta3 BIOS. When I was running the 1005 bios my whole systenm would stall on startup when I overclocked my 1.8A p4 past 2.4Ghz. I assumed this was my memory running out of steam at 133fsb seen as pc800 is only meant to do 100fsb. However when I installed BIOS 1006beta3 I can now overclock all the way up to 2.6Ghz before my CPU starts to crap out. The RIMM is still working at this speed which is 142Mhz FSB. I think maybe the 1006beta3 BIOS ups voltage to the RIMM or something and gets rid of the stalling on startup. If you don't overclock I think the 1005 BIOS would do you fine but otherwise give the 1006beta3 BIOS a go.

If you want to go higher than 133FSB you do it through the jumpers.

Have a look at the P4T manual for the jumper settings they have the settings in there for speeds higher than 133FSB. The P4T-E manual does not have these jumper settings listed so you wont find them in there.

I would suggest any settings are done through the jumpers as if you set 133FSB through the BIOS the PCI/AGP setup is way out of clock 44.3Mhz for the PCI and 88.6 Mhz for the AGP where if you set it through the jumpers the divider is set correctly so PCI is run at 33Mhz and AGP 66Mhz. if you set it for 133FSB.

One problem you will find if you increase FSB through the jumpers is the BIOS won't let you set vcore anymore so you will have to do the wire wrap mod to raise voltage.

o i c. hmmm :D
is goin thru jumpers generally more stable?
but doesnt the 4x divider in the bios work that ur sayin the pci / agp clock will be way out of range ...
i will investigae when i get home today

max

If you were using the P4T533-C BIOS the 133FSB setting in BIOS would set the divider correctly but in the P4T-E BIOS it does not seem to set the divider properly which is why I always use the dip switches. The dip switches can be a bit of a pain but worth it to get around the divider and not being able to overclock past 133FSB.

have heard that some people have been flashing there P4T-E BIOS with the P4T533-C BIOS and having successs with this and then all options up to 150FSB and dividers working properly are available in the BIOS. If you so this you have to remember that you can't go back and you could render your motherboard unusable.

Back