• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TH7-II Temps....45 threads-no conclusions. HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

James-Italy

Registered
Sorry to start a new thread on the TH7-II temp problem, but I couldn't decide on which of the 45 prior threads from my search to ressurrect...none of which I thought came to any conclusions.

HELP!!!!

1. What is that little plastic Intel label sticker on the top of my CPU? Why did it leave a VOID VOID VOID when I took it off (with my fingernail)? Did I do something wrong? Does Intel really want me to istall the HSF over a plastic sticker? Or does that plastic have some function?
2. Why are the CPU temps so darn high? At stock settings and an Abient temp @20°C, my P4 2.4a idles at 42°C and loads at 57-59°. As soon as I drop CPU usage the CPU temp visibly drops to idle temps in @15-30 seconds.
3. Why is my HS not hot to the touch?
4. Should I DISABLE thermal shutdown in bios? I've got it set to 75° now.
5. Could it be that thermal sensor plugged into JP1 that is causing grief?
6. What conclusions has anyone come to as to why the TH7-II reports temps so high?
7. If my HS isn't hot, will changing to a better HS like the Swiftech MCX478 make a difference?

BTW- I've got the Evercase ECS500 Full-tower server case with 2x80cm intakes for the HDs, 1x120cm intake, 1x90cm YS-Tech exhaust, Enermax EG465P-VE dual fan PS
This setup ran my OCed Dual Athlons with SK6's and 80cm fans at 39-45° Idle/Load.

1) You bought your p4 from CHL, right?
The label you see on the heat spreader is their warranty sticker.

Those Intel retail fans just plain are junk at speeds above about 2.0 to 2.2 gig (in my opinion). The heatsink is not hot to the touch because what heat it is pulling off, it's effectively getting rid of. The trouble is, it can't pull all the heat off the core fast enough. The CPU temp thermister is measuring core temp, not heatsink temp you know. You need a better CPU cooler. I would NOT disable the thermal throttling in the BIOS. In fact, I'd leave it at default for max protection. Again, you need better cooling. I've had good luck with the Swiftech, but the socket 478 Alpha is a another good choice. The good news is that it looks like you have nice case ventilation.

gio79 said:
1) You bought your p4 from CHL, right?
The label you see on the heat spreader is their warranty sticker.

Yes, from CHL. How did you know that?? Sei italiano?

Thanks Batboy- I'm ordering some better cooling today. Too bad I can't stick one of the SK6's on the P4, those babies are great.

Last night I didn't touch a thing and my temps were:
Idle 42°
Load 52°

the ambient temp was a little lower than over the weekend. Oh well, going to order the Swiftech MCX478 today

After stressing over the temps for awhile, I've come to some conclusions.
1st, I think the TH7-II/ P4 combo reads the temps anywhere from 5-10C higher than they really are. I have the same case cooling and equivalent HS/Fan to my old P3 setup, and accounting for the difference in W/Clockspeed/vcore generated by the 2 CPUs, this figure makes sense to me.
One possible reason could be the heat generated thru the board by the DRCGs and Rimms, even at stock PC800 and especially noticable when the Dram is clocked at 4x or PC1066 and above.
I even added a couple of 80mm fans blowing on the DRCGs and Rimms, just in case, but had no probs w/o the extra fans, and although the sys temp is approx. 5C cooler. I'm not sure if even these are needed?
2nd, although the "buzz" on the net was that the P4 generates less heat and runs cooler than the P3, IMHO, this is just an "urban myth".
Bottom line, if it gets too hot it will throttle, and according to Intel people on other forums, this throttling is very noticable, and at load temps of 50-55C max on my setup, I haven't noticed any slowdowns.
Also, if you OC too much, you will get the standard CTD, lockups, maybe corrupted files, etc, and I feel the above is the deciding factor in whether it's stable, moreso than a certain temp number.
Now I'm only running a Sunflower, and I feel that the Alpha or Swiftech is the best HS, but I haven't switched since most posts that I've read on different forms have only shown a diff of maybe 5C with the better coolers. In fact, some people with H2O cooling say that they still get temps which are 10C higher OCing a P4 than they got with thier old CPUs.
To me, why change out for a more expensive cooler unless you have probs?
I have spent a good amount of time reading the great posts and ideas here and elsewhere, but finally decided to just enjoy my setup and not tinker anymore until a prob crops up.
Mike G

Back