• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2x256. 4x256, 1x512, 2x512??? Which is best for OCING?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WideMouth40

Just like the title says. I plan on starting with either 2x256 or 1x512 of either corsair, mushkin, or the new samsug ddr400. Then later bringing it up to a full gig. This is for a p4 set-up. Which configuration is best for serious OCing?

I've read other threads on this and there didn;t seem to be much consensus.

Peace

"usually" better results come from having one stick of RAM. The amount usually doesn't matter, but the number of sticks do. That being said, the difference is usually a couple of MHZ on the FSB.

There was a big debate over this. I'm not even sure about this myself. I heard you should use one stick since the data won't be transfered through so many modules, then I heard you need more to seperate and then have a better 4 way interleve.

I'm still confused about this myself.

Yodums

Opps, I forgot all about the memory interleaving.

2 sticks will definately be better than just one stick of course counting you got 4-way memory interleaving enabled.

I'd get 2 512MB sticks if I were you. 512MB alone just isnt enough anymore for power users that use WindowsXP. At least for me anyway, and all I do is play games, surf the web and use Winamp! LOL

AXIA

AXIA said:
Opps, I forgot all about the memory interleaving.

2 sticks will definately be better than just one stick of course counting you got 4-way memory interleaving enabled.

I'd get 2 512MB sticks if I were you. 512MB alone just isnt enough anymore for power users that use WindowsXP. At least for me anyway, and all I do is play games, surf the web and use Winamp! LOL

AXIA

Hehehe, 2 sticks of 512MB, eh? that's exactly what I was planning, but one stick now and one stick in a month or so.

Peace

I have had trouble occasionally trying to load WindozeXP using 1 stick of 512mb RAM or 2 sticks of 256mb RAM. I keep a stick of Crucial PC2100 256mb for loading XP on customers systems. Seems to work great. I then switch to the 512mb and away we go.

2 sticks of 512 ddr ram is alittle extreme dont you think? if alls you say you do is play some games, browse the web and listen to winamp.. why in the name of god would you need to spend all that money on 1024mb of ddr ram? i'm not saying i wouldnt if i had the money.. but unless you're messing around with photoshop or video or SOMETHING.. i dont know.. i could be wrong, it wouldnt be the first time :p

2 sicks of 256mb. I just pulled up taskmanager on my windows xp machine that is suposed to be resource and memory hungry and it is only using 148mb of memory with SETI running, IE, and Winamp. There really is no need for more than 512mb unless you are doing video editing or serious photo renderings. Even hardcore gaming doesn't use that mcuh memory.

One of the primary uses of my machine will be video editing, and 512mb might be enough to handle what I want, which is why I want to start there, but give myself the option of bumping it up another stick to 1024.

Peace

Back