• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

getting a new bios chip?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cmfrost

Heya peeps :)

i just got an TH7-II mobo with 1.6a chip

found out about the POST 29 error thing :( (im so damn unlucky)

i saw sommat about abit are able to send a new bios chip with upto date bios onit?

my question is, how do u order one
and if i do how hard are they to manually replace?
cos im not even sure which chip on the mobo is the bios..

thanks for any input :)

cmfrost said:
i saw sommat about abit are able to send a new bios chip with upto date bios onit? my question is, how do u order one
I've done it. I called the number found in the back of your manual. In the US, I needed to press selection #2 to get a human response to order the bios. I explained my problem and they sent me a new one for free. I got it on the east coast in about 3 days. Don't rely on them to respond to emails or letters.

how hard are they to manually replace?
cos im not even sure which chip on the mobo is the bios..
thanks for any input :)
Easy to replace with the right tool. I definitely DON'T recommend using any prying tools like a screwdriver. You can either buy an extractor from Radio Shack (again, in US) or you can do what I did.

After checking out the picture of the Radio Shack tool online, http://www.radioshack.com/product.a...name=CTLG_005_005_020_000&product_id=276-1581 Check out the U shaped tool. I took an old pair of tweezers and bent the tip of the legs in 90 degrees. This created a great bios puller.

The amount to bend is pretty apparent when you look at the existing socket and bios. You would insert it on the points of the chip and once it is under the chip, squeese and pull.

If you examine the chip and the socket after removing the bios, you will see that it is keyed to be installed only 1 way. Simply align it into the position and press it in with your finger.

By the way, the bios is the socketed chip located next to the battery.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
I should have mentioned that "the old pair of tweezers" I modified were the type that comes to a point. These are fairly common in the electronics trade. I suppose a common pair of tweezers would work also if you made the end a dull point.

thanks for the input :)

i decided to go the safer way though the place i got it from are going to flash my bios for me /cheer \o/

Back