• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is 1.5GB - 2.0GB of memory possible in any recent motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sjlai

I do some modelling that requires at least 1.5Gb of memory, and a single run can last for 20 days, so I need a reliable, stable system.

My budget doesn't extend to 1Gb DIMMs.

Are there any Intel motherboards that have been released in the last 6 months that will run with 3 x 512 DIMMS, or even better 4 x 512 DIMMS? Bear in mind that single sided 512 DIMMS are pretty much unobtainable. Email to/from some of the major vendors confirms this.

TIA

Simon

Check sis 645-645dx boards they can but mine only has 3 memory slots so 3x512. Not sure if they all have 3 memory slots max or not.

flaming gerbill, is this something you have actually tried?

although lots of motherboards have 3 dimms slots experience is showing that not all can run reliably with 3 dimms.

simon

no never tried it. my understanding is with the p4s333 if you want to use ddr333 you can only use 2 dimms however 3 dimms can be used with standard ddr. this is only what asus says, again never tried it myself.

the new epox 4g4a+ supports 2 gig ddr333 memory... try that out... it's only 129 some dollars

Darryl_D said:
the new epox 4g4a+ supports 2 gig ddr333 memory... try that out... it's only 129 some dollars

This motherboard is based on the Intel 845 chipset and will not accept 3 x double sided DIMMs, which covers all 512MB DDR DIMMS currently available.

hmm what a perdiciment.. have you tried an amd board???? i know that the abit kg7 and the abit kr7a.. both support up to 4 gb ddr ram.. only thing is that the kg7 only accepts pc2100ddr.. your choice man

Back