• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to overclock with Abit BD7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

djs488

I have an Intel 1.6Ghz processor with an Abit BD7. The only way I see to overclock is by changing one of the switches so that the FSB is 133 instead of 100. Since the multiplyer will stay at 16, this should move it all of the way up to 2128Mhz!!! I've tried this and it won't work. Is there anyway I can overclock it to something in between 1600 and 2128Mgz??? Thanks

Go into the SoftMenu section of the BIOS. Cycle through the "CPU operating speed" selections and set it at "user define". This will allow you to choose the FSB settings that were previously grayed out. Default will be 100 MHz of course. Those 1.6a Northwoods will do 133 FSB no problem. Leave all the dip switches on the motherboard at the default settings and overclock entirely from the BIOS.

will it automatically change the rest of the stuff for me, like the CPU:SDI Ratio? I have the option of changing the multiplyer, will that do anything? Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!

The CPU multiplier is locked from Intel, so leave it at the default 16X (changing it won't do anything). The PCI and AGP bus ratios will change when you increase the FSB, that's normal. Make sure you have good cooling and set the FSB to 133, that way the PCI bus will be in spec (33 MHz is the default PCI bus speed). If you want to ease into overclocking a little bit at first and/or if you don't have good cooling yet, set the FSB to 110 MHz. That is a no brainer, super safe overclock that will give you instant success and confidence.

i set my FSB to 114, cause it is divisible by three, so the 3:1, FSB:pCI Ratio would work out evenly. Should I down it to 110? It ran at 1824 but I haven't tested it's stability yet. I'll test it with sandra. How can I check my CPU and System Temperatures outside my BIOS? what program should I use. I've already downloaded MCPUID and Sandra.

What about setting the PCI/AGP to fix and you do not have to worry about the FSB...

Use Prime95 to check stability and Winbond Hardware Doctor to check voltages and temps. Winbond HD comes on the CD with your Mainboard.

Hope this helps.

Merkor

i went through Sandra's Burn-in and got to 5 sets before my comp shut down because of CPU temperature. It got to 55C so it called it quits. I could set it for higher, but I don't want to bust it. Besides, it only has one chassis fan, and its a 20CFM. Im planning to add more. Does this performance sound poor to you? it does to me.

hmmm...55C seems high for such a small overclock on the 1.6A.

Is heatsink base seated all the way down and plastic pins pushed all the way in?

Is your room temp high to start with? (CPU temp is always added on top of room temp for air-cooling)

Any obstructions between CPU Fan and case intake/exhaust?

Get a good CPU HSF or at least use ArcticSilver compound ($3-5 shipped from SVC) if you plan to overclock higher.

Its not a northwood (1.6A) its a williamette, but its on a 478 socket. What heatsinks and fans would you guys recomend. I'm just using the one that came with the processor. I've looked in overclocking databases, and people with my same processor have overclocked higher using an AVC Sunflower or an Alpha 8042 w/ a 40CFM Panaflo. I think I'll try one of those. Oh yeah, I'm putting one of my 92mm 50CFM fans on my left panel. Should I put it directly across from the CPU??

Temperatures today (without even overclocking)

System Temp. 35C
CPU Temp. 52C

Those seem enourmous

oh....(not 1.6A). Did you just purchase it? Why not return and get a 1.6A as price difference is almost none but overclocking potential difference is huge. Most places have 15 day return policy on CPUs.

I am using Thermaltake Volcano 7+. It is all copper with 3 speed adjustable fan. It easily dropped 5C for me over the stock HSF (combined with ArcticSilver). At first I had the fan on high (6000rpm), but the noise got the better of me so I turned it down to medium (4000rpm). Temp went up 1C but noise level is much more tolerable. Fry's has this for $39 but I've seen it on other online stores for as little as $30 + shipping.

i got it for christmas, im only 14, so i can't return it. Which arctic silver compound should I use? What about the thermaltank dragon orb heatsink and fan? is that a good one?

has OC ever polled for the youngest overclockers?:)

I don't have experience with that HSF but I think I read somewhere(maybe here) that it wasn't worth the money over the factory HSF.

The compound I am using is ArcticSilver III.

heres what i think im gonna go with:

Arctic Silver III Thermal Compound - $6.00
Thermaltake Volcano 7 (not +) - $18.00
80mm Sunon Fan 39CFM - $6.95
2x 92mm YS-Tech Fans 58.5CFM - $8.95 each
2x 92mm Fan Guard - $1.75 each
4pin splitter - $2.00

Total: $54.35

Thats a lot of money, but it'll cool my system won't it. I already have one case fan. All these parts are from casecooler.com. If you know of a better site with cheaper prices, tell me please!

Oh nooooooooooo!!!! I cant use the Volcano 7, thats only for AMDs. Anybody know of a second best 478 cooler thats cheaper than the Thermaltake Volcanon 7+?

Back