• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ram burn-in

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i'm guessing that you mean just loading the computer at 100% to root to make sure all system components are working alright?

burn-in

The gerneal wisdom is that stressing components will break them in and make them work slightly better than they did out of the box. This can't be proven, but is talked about often enough that it seems reasonable and believable.

Samsung PC2700 DDR seems to benefit from a good burn-in... lots of loops of Sandra's memory benchmark for examnple, at different settings and FSB.

A lot of people speak of burning-in a cpu and gaining a better overclock. There are a lot of programs for this, like the DC programs run by the SETI and Folding teams, and gereral cpu stress/tester programs.

i again emphasise that Folding @ home is a great burn in proggie to stress the CPU and other involved components, and we have a great team here and are #3 in the world.

we are very competitive, and have comtests to win new comp parts and stuff all the time.

We are currently going to be overrun by team Rage3D so w could really ise the help too.

-Malakai

Malakai. Gow long do you have to stress the memory at different FSB speeds? I have a K7S5A mobo whose bios doesn't have the option of increasing mem voltage. The only way for meto burn-in my Mushkin pc3000 is w/ the FSB. :)

mem stuff

Do you have options to change the ram timings...cas latency, bank interleave, normal, fast, turbo, etc??

Try to get the latest bios version for your board also... a lot of times there are performance bioses or new features are added in newer bios versions.

Without mem voltage adjustments, you can still burn-in with changes in the timings and FSB, but voltage will be a big help to get the memory to run higher FSB's and to make the burn-in more effective.

There's no telling 'till you try it out... weaken upthe FSband timings a bit if possible, and loop some Sandra memory tests for a few hours... gradually increase the settings/FSb and keep at it. Maybe it'll help. Consider looking up a voltage mod for your board's memory as well.

Thanks for the quick response Arkaine23.

Yes, I can change the memory timing on my mobo.

I am using the latest bios for my mobo.

As of now, I'm running rock stable at 150fsb at Ultra/CAS2/5t/2t
which would be the most aggressive timing there is for this mobo
(there is a 4t option but haven't seen anyone boot using Ultra/2/4t/2t even w/ very good memory).

The next FSB speed option in my bios is 166/166 but my cpu is locked and can't boot at 166/166 at stock 11x multi.

Seeing that I'm already running rock stable at the highest fsb and at the most aggressive mem timings, is there still a need for me to "burn-in"?

Will it be beneficial for my memory to still loop sandra memory burn in for a few hours in case I decide to upgrade to a better mobo and go for higher fsb? If so, many hours would be considered as a good burn in period?

Back