• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did I get the right Samsung PC2700?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Roger24

I received a stick of Samsung PC2700 today, but I've heard that there are some sticks out there that are not purely Samsung.
This is what all the chips say:
1st line: Samsung 217
2nd line: K4H280838D-TCB3
there are chips on both sides of the PCB.

Is this the good, overclockable stuff? If not, it's going back.

Yes, but is this the chip that everyone's been praising for reaching high fsb at aggressive timings and that have done well on reviews?
It has 8 chips on each side, and there's a small sticker on one of the chips saying:
DDR 333
256 MB
Is this a genuine Samsung stick that will reach towards 190-200MHz or more with aggressive timings, or is it just some noname company using Samsung chips?

Da Whip said:
Here is the Samsung Data Sheet for the memory;

http://www.sec.samsung.com/semiconductors/DRAM/DDR_SDRAM/128M_bit/K4H280838D/k4h2804(08)38d.htm

It appears to be overclockable. Good Luck.

If you had taken the time to read the link I posted and done some research you would have found the following;
K = Maker - Samsung Memory
4 = Dram
H = Product - DDR SDRAM
28 = Density& Refreach - 128Mb, 4K/64ms
04 = Organization - X4
3 = Bank - 4 Banks
8 = Interface (VDD,DDQ) - 2.5V.
D = Revision - 5th generation(2nd newest)
T = Package Type- -TSOPII (400milx875mil)
C = Temp & Power - Commercial Normal (0C-70C)
B3 = Speed - DDR333 166Mhz

Amazing what you can find when you look.

Looks like you got the generic memory using samsung chips.
The "Samsung" memory sold by samsung is single sided.

So, should I send it back then?
There's another webshop that sells this (although it's not in stock):
"Samsung M368L3223CTL-CB3 256Mb DDR PC2700 184pin 233MHz cas2.5 single-sided (AMD OK)"
Is that the right one?

Besides the chips is the board the chips are on marked samsung if not then it's not original samsung memory but 3rd party memory using samsung chips.

Genuine samsung should have a sticker that say's samsung on it in blue letters and lists the part number on it.

Your chips are 16x8 chips rather than 32x8 that is why you have 8 chips per side. A stick that uses 32x8 only has 8 chips total , if it will overclock well is something you will just have to test.

The samsung and third party samsung I have tested so far have used the 32x8 chips so I have no idea if the 16x8 chips overclock better the same or worse.

Where did you get your Samsung Original DDR333 PC-2700?

I have been looking for this Samsung DDR333 memory and reading a lot of posts about it. Looks like only NewEgg is selling the Samsung "Original" DDR333 PC-2700 with Model#: M368L6423CTL-CB3. I believe this memory was made with Samsung's PCB board; not from the third-party, and I also saw poeple overclock better with this original Samsung memory than the one with Samsung chip but not the Samsung PCB.

After doing some searching on pricewatch, I can only point out 2 venders which sell the Samsung "CB3" DDR-333. One is OC System selling it for $113 with the Model#: K4H560838C-TCB3, and the other vender is NewEgg. But it seems like the one which OC System is selling is not made with Samsung PCB(not 100% sure but saw a guy with this Model#: K4H560838C-TCB3 and the PCB is made with some no name thrid-party).

For those people who got Samsung Original DDR333(both the chips and PCB board), can you kindly post where you bought it and the price of it. Also if you overclock, can you see the difference between these 2(PCB made by Samsung and the one made by thrid-party).

Any idea will be greatly appreciated..

Newegg original.
Googlegear 3rd party powmem pcb.

Max oc original unknown but tested to 220mhz with no burn in.
3rd party before burn in max oc 210mhz after burn in 216mhz.

Max overclock will vary from stick to stick even with the original stuff.

Fastest mem timings at 204mhz.
original 2.5-2-2
3rd party 2.5-2-3

The above results were considered stable using P95 for 1 hour and looping 3d mark 2001 three times. Motherboard used a epox 4SDA all testing was done using 2.7v on the memory. Max oc mem timings 2.5-3-3

The samsung original is what I use everyday at 204mhz 2.5-2-2 2.7v rock solid for a month now.

Thanks Placid, those are the answers I have been looking for.

So for now the lowest price of the Samsung original pc2700 512MB is from NewEgg for $148 plus shipping. Can any vender that you know beat that price?

I emphasize again: the ram must have both Samsung chips AND PCB board.

Da Whip said:
Maxima88,
Don't tell me you can't read too. Samsung's web site states that it make double sided RAM.

Of course I can read. I also know for a fact that the ORIGINAL 256MB PC2700 SAMSUNG MEMORY STICK is ONLY single-sided.

Here's a link to the Samsung website that shows that all
256mb DDR333 memory only has 1 row of chips.

http://samsungelectronics.com/semiconductors/dram/ddr_sdram/ddr_sdram.htm

The Question is not if the chips on his memory are samsung but if the stick itself was assembled and sold by Samsung directly.
We all know the chips used by third party aseemblers are original samsung chips but that's not the question.

I hope this link once and for all answers all questions as to whether the Original 256mb PC2700 Samsung Stick is single sided or double sided. IT'S SINGLE-SIDED.

Last edited:
Your link doesn't say if it's for 256mb ddr333. It could be for 512mb sticks.

The link I posted clearly shows that 256mb ddr333 memory is only single-sided.

I'm almost sure unless I'm missing something.

There are so many different places on the samsung site with info and different dates that it's really hard to look at one page and say that is the only possibility.

The link I posted above was the wrong one it was for the 512mb

This is for a 256mb stick.
M381L3313CT1-CB3 166Mhz(6ns@CL=2.5) SSTL_2
Say's its double sided. PCB : Height 1250 (mil), double sided component.

Look at the link here

http://samsungelectronics.com/semic...Unbuffered_DIMM/M368L3223CTL/m368l3223ctl.htm

Then in the downloads at the bottom look at the top(data sheet) pdf. Notice the date, Data Sheet Rev. 0.3 May 2002

I know what you mean that the 256mb modules that most are used to seeing are single sided but this stuff seems to be new and showing up at retailers.

Last edited:
Yay! This memory isn't so bad after all. Even though it's double-sided and not with an original Samsung PCB. Someone else over here that also bought this ram tested it, and here are the results:
Max: 224 MHz
Most aggressive: 200 MHz
same, but with 2T: 210MHz
I have 8 more days before I have to return it if I want to, and no motherboard to test it on yet. Do you think I should keep it?

Might as well keep it, the recent batch of samsung 2700 dosen't seem to be doing as well as the previous.
Those are good numbers, what motherboard was used a 8k3a?

Yes, it was an 8k3a+. They also mentioned that 3V seemed to be the limit for this ram too. I think they also have an Asus P4S533 test system too. They haven't put the review online yet, only given out the numbers on a forum. But I saw the Asus P4 on another review from them, where the KingMax DDR400 failed to live up to it's rating. http://www.slapps.com/review/kingmax_ddr400.htm
From what I've read on an Norwegian forum, they appear to have used 2-3 of these "fake" Samsung modules and been happy with all of them.

Last edited:
Back