• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit BD7 II

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fede78

Registered
Anyone have this board? What is max Vcore for the CPU?
How works with ddr333 memory?

My BD7II undervolts:

I've been playing with a BD7II for about a week now (Actually joined these forums to find out more).

vcore adjust is 5,10,15% as Ken says
vmem adjust is 2.5, 2.6, 2.7

BUT (and this is a big but)

The board undervolts both by default. I get cpu vcore = 1.4v, vmem = 2.4v. I hope this is specific to my board. Definitely limits the OC potential when max RAM voltage is 2.6 and max CPU is 1.65v.

2nd problem: USB 2.0 drivers for this (and all other intel ICH4 boards) have yet to be released. You won't be able to use onboard usb 2.0 until June 10th. But why release a product without driver support? How strange.

Otherwise, the BD7II is a good board. Very stable and does 3:4 memory ratio. I can reach 144/192 with my Mushkin pc3000. Too bad though - this ram can easily reach 200 with 2.7 volts.

Noah

Hi,
Yes you are correct. My board undervolts slightly also.
I have my usb 2.0 operating fine. Go to intel.com and download
their 2.0 drivers and get the win xp 2.0 usb updater. If you look
in the abit newsgroups there are links posted for both. look for thread usb 2.0. And like you I do Like this board. No problems so far. Got my 1.8a running happily at 2402mhz day and nite.
Ken

bd7ii problem

hi all. i too have this board (non-raid version). i found it to be very stable so far (3 days), but i have a problem: when using my "old" (and very reliable) geforce 2 pro card (64mb) in the bd7ii the picture is slightly "jittery"/unstable. especially black letters on white ground seem to shake a little bit every few seconds. strange, never had that with the geforce card before. looks like an voltage or static problem? tried everything in the static department (relocated cables,"shielding" the graphics card,...) but nothing helped. this is very annoying! now you guys tell me that the board's vcore isn't correct. i have vcore 1.42v and aux (?) is 2.45v. could this be the reason for the problem? what would be the correct values and how do i change them? can anyone please help me? steve

my system: abit bd7ii (latest 93 bios), enermax 350w power supply, p4 northwood 2.2ghz boxed, infineon 512mb pc266 cl2 ram, prolink nvidia geforce 2 pro card, sb live 5.1, seagate barracuda ata iv 80gb

problem update

update: just increased the vcore via softmenu's +5% setting which brings my vcore up to 1.49v. but the unstable picture-problem is still there... :-(( any ideas??

I have a gforce 4 440mx in right now with a radeon 128mb 850 on the way. I have seen absolutely no problems with the current card. I have heard of problems with the seating of the agp slot.
If you havent already, reseat the card in the agp slot pushing until the tab locks it in. Just an idea. I'll check my voltages later and see if they are similar to yours.
Ken

Hi, about the voltages anyone have contacted abit technical support?
What voltages shows in the bios? 1,4V?

ok, here's my setup:

I have my voltage set to +10%.
+10% for my chip should be 1.65 volts.
My 1.8a has a default of 1.5, so adding 10%(1.5volts) should give me 1.65 volts.
Hardware Doctor reports 1.58 to 1.60
Speedfan reports 1.58 volts
Bios reports 1.58 volts

So it is definitely undervolting by about .5 volts.
Ken

no undervolts here

Probably a power supply, just recieved my board last weekend and winbon doctor shows the correct voltages.. I have an antec case that uses True power supply 330w.

Hi,

My board also undervolts on Vcore, Vmem etc and bios, hardware doctor, MBM all show the same thing. However, remember they are all using the winbond chip to make this measurement so that is hardly surprising.

If the bios doesn't have the correct 'fudge factors" to correct any systematic errors in the ADC's on the winbond chip then voltages will measure wrong because the ADC's are measuring wrong. A message to Abit is probably a good idea because then they can fix it in the next bios update.

My voltages went up a little when I upgraded to 93 bios, anyone else notice this?

MBM also showed me my -12V and -5V at -8.5V and -3.4V which gave me a fright at first. I then checked them with a meter on the ATX connector and they were fine at -11.9V and -5.1V, well within spec. I haven't checked Vmem or Vcore yet as these are I little more tricky to probe :), without shorting out something, have to take my board out of the case for this and I not sure I can be bothered.

Unless you are using a really poor PSU, it will not have any effect on the motherboard regulated voltages such as Vocre, Vmem etc.

Switching regulators on the motherboard will quite happily cope with a +/-10 variation on input voltage and much more, (CPU reg uses 12V and the others use either 3V3 or 5V) and still deliver the correct voltage, but just require a bit more current to do it. Its the components that use 12V and 5V directly that care about variations on those rails, not the regulators.

When you go from nominal to +10% Vcore note the increase and compare it to what you expected. The ADC should be fairly linear as long as you are not taking the voltage way out of spec, but there might be a systematic error. When I change from nominal to +10% I go from 1.46V to 1.60V, that looks about right.

Also remember that due to normal manufacturing variations not every regulator will perform the same and not every winbond IC will either, this is why there is always a design spec on voltage outputs and inputs and this is exactly why you can take a P4 up to 1.85V and not burn it out :) or if you want to undervolt/clock it.

All this talk of 1.61 versus 1.65 Vcore, Vmem 2.6V versus 2.7V or even better 11.7V versus 12V, etc etc really makes me chuckle sometimes.
All that is important is that upping the voltage a little or cooling down a little makes the silicon run a little faster, you really don't know exactly how much you have increased the voltage or what it was to start with if you just rely on a $2 winbond chip to measure it for you. The ADCs in that chip will never be as good as a $200 Fluke DVM. Just make sure the winbond reports the increase you expect and that your monitoring program (MBM, hardware doctor) reports that all rails are in spec and you will be fine.

P.S. Thanks for the info on the USB2.0 drivers. I was waiting for Abit but now I'll go get them from Intel site. Ta :)

Cheers,

WittyNewt. :D

Last edited:
hi!

i want to buy this board, too...
will there be a bios mod for this motherboard?!

any other problems?!

Back