• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

baltoos

I built my 1st comp using an Abit TH7II, P4 1.6A, 512Mb Samsung Rdram, Maxtor 6L080J4 HDD & The old IBM 10Gb HDD from my old system< Ge Force 2 Mx400 64Mb Vid card. I originally partitioned & formatted the Maxtor HDD & installed Win98SE. Everything was working fine except for a couple minor problem. Win98 started acting real funny- certain things would not work at all. I figured I had a bad copy of 98SE ( came w/ the old system a friend built for me - not original MS). So I got a brand new copy of Win XP Home OEM from everybody's favorite comp store - New Egg. Reformatted & installed XP. Everything OK Until I tried a little o/c- did something stupid ( idk what) -wouldn't do anything. reset CMOS & boots ok but a file is missing. Next time I start comp - no boot -system32/config.sys is corrupt or missing. I end up starting all over again (there is aalways time to do it over- it's called a good learning experience) & everything now seems to be OK. I have been looking over info on this forum and I'm wondering if I should use the Intel App accelerator. HDD's are connected to Hp370 controller- 1 on each channel. Ive seen some questions in the forums about the app accelerator. Any help is of course Greatly Appreciated. THANX!!

I always use the app acell on my system seems to work good. make sure you have all of the latest stuff ie inf, audio, bios etc

are you using the raid feature or just have the drives on 3 and 4
If not using raid I would hookup to 1 and 2..
I don't use my raid now so I only know what i've read
What is your Ide setup??

I'm not using the raid right now. According to what Ive read in the forums & according to a friend who's a tech at the comp store down the street, this way I can keep seperate channels for my optical drives ( next item on the wish list is a good CD-RW !)This is all pretty new to me, but I'm learning quickly! Any advice is always appreciated! -Dave

I don't know if thats the best way to hook up yer drives.

I'll tell you what I think and give you some more options.

I would put the lg hd on Ide pri 1 sm hd on secondary

cd rom on ide 2 faster one on primary.

Ide 3,4 why bother unless you do raid. or have other stuff.

I would use app accell and if you have 512mb or more of ram I would change memory setting in perfomance to system

I would run sandra on your drives now and after each step to see your performance change if any.

I'm not an expert in this area maybe someone else would like to help out

Logger

Tried running Sandra benchmarks w/ various configurations. Results were almost identical w/ every setting. so I think I'll leave the way I had it before. I' ve since started playing with fsb settings - kicked it up to 125 & 1st time got an error message-file missing or corrupt. I used the system restore utility & everything is running ok now. fsb @ 125: memory @ 400. Later Might try fsb 133. I think I did pretty good !st time out! -Dave

Back