• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAID0 and BLOCK SIZE revisited

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gloin

Registered
I know this has been up earlier on this forum, but the answers are deviating, to say the least. I've also read some articles witout getting any wiser.

I'm about to set up two new disks (WD 80GB JB) in a RAID0 stripe set. I'm running WinXP and using NTFS. I use the computer for pleasure and some business. Games, OfficeXP, photos, more games etc... So, I'm using both small files and large files! I do NOT overclock.

Which BLOCK SIZE should I choose? 16k or 64k?? Or 32k??? Or maybe only 4k????

Can anyone answer this, or is it impossible to answer...???

Cheers, Gloin

Hey jay,
best document on RAID I've seen. Thanks a lot. Will choose 16k as I have today...

Gloin :p

The CPU utilization with 32k blocks/32k stripes is minimized. And performance is excellent. The generic rule of thumb is that 64k blocks are optimum for maximum transfer rate at any cost, but 32k blocks seem "snappier". I like 32k blocks/32k clusters. You can use Partition Magic to change cluster size for experimentation without data loss ...Mark

OK, but how do you change the block size within Partition Magic on an NTFS partition? Can't find it's possible...

You know something I don't?

Gloin

Back