• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Types of PC2100 Memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Steven J Gore

Registered
I am upgrading my system to an Intel 845 Mobo with P4 and was hoping somebody could explain the difference between the following:

512MB 184Pin DIMM PC2100DDRAM ECC Unbuffered CL2.5

and...

512MB 184Pin DIMM PC2100DDRRAM ECC Registered CL2.5

In other words, what is the difference between "Unbuffered" and "Registered" and what do they mean? I have even seen some "Non-Parity" and "Unregistered" types too.

So from a performance and overclocking point of view, which should I go for?

Thanks in advance!

Steve.

From an overclocking point of view you should definitely stay away from the ECC ram. It is slightly slower because it checks for errors and you won't be able to get very far with it. I wouldn't get either of these sticks. Go to newegg and get a brand name like crucial, corsair, samsung or something like that.

Thanks for the reply!

BTW, the above sticks I mentioned are Crucial branded memory.

The only non-ECC Crucial 512MB ram stick I can find is "512MB 184Pin DIMM PC2100 DDR RAM Non-Parity CL2.5"

The non-ECC stick is also the cheapest of the three, so I will probably go for this one.

From a stabilty point of view, if non-ECC memory does not check for errors, does this make it less stable in any way?

Steve.

Registered is mainly for Server type computers and most mobo's dont support Registered .Definatly go with the nonECC from Crucial for best performance in my opinion ,They are the best and I have never had a problem with them and dont be fooled by some memory that is marked Micron cuz yes Micron is good but this is the stuff that wasn't good enough for Crucial to put their name on it ,so they just call it Micron ,from what I have read , now some people are going to baulk at the previous sentance but that is my opinion ,

SB

Back