• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

oldschool ram issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Plo Koon

I have an old Dell Optiplex 466/LE with 4 MB ram. Recently I found two 4MB SIMMs to put in instead of just the one. The problem is that the machine will not boot up. There are 2 slots and each one works fine in either slot as long as there is only 1 slot filled. With both SIMMs intstalled, I get a series of beeps and then nothing. I thought mabye there was a jumper problem but I can figure out what any of the jumpers are for. I also tried looking up the motherboard on the internet hoping maybe for some kind of info on the jumper settings. No luck so far.
any suggestions ?

~Thanks

All SIMMs are not created equally. There's EDO, FPM, dual-sided, single-sided, parity, non-parity, etc.

You'll need to find out what exactly that old Dell accepts then find out what those two sticks you have actually are.

Back