• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone Know when the TH7 III is suppossed to come out...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darryl_D

anyone know.. i dunno if it will be caled hte TH7III but well abit's motherboard for the 850E chipset anyone know whenabit is going to release it to the public?

I read somewhere they scrapped the idea because the rambus boards won't sell well enough.

From what i read, All major mother board MFG. will be offering RAMBUS boards soon. Added that RAMBUS is ramping up the bandwith again "1066, 1200 already in the market place"

With Abits familiarity & knowlage of the TH7, I would think that they would offer something for the 850I.

Just my opinion...

It appears that other manufacturers RDRAM boards are being limited to 150fsb or so. Is there a chip limitation with the 850e???? Please correct me if I am wrong.

If this is true, perhaps Abit doesn't see the 850e as a worthwhile endevor since the current TH7-II can be run at those speeds with the right ram and CPU.

IMHO, Abit could build a truely kickass RDRAM motherboard based on the "old" 850 chip if they would just update their current TH7-II with a better main clock generator (its a crappy Realtec chip) and also install better DCRG's (they are lower performing ICS -03 400MHz chips) to better allow for 600+ FSB. Alternative chips are readily available. The main clock generator may require some pcb changes though and I haven't heard if it is possible. I, and others, have done the DCRG mod with great results.

I got a feeling my current TH7-II will have a home here for quite some time. . . . .

Last edited:
hmm so you guys think i should buy the TH7II now.. or wait for a good 850E motherboard to be released to the public? what do you guys think?

oh btw on the TH7II can you even overclock the new 133 processors or no? as the highest i've ever heard anyone go with the RDRAM is at 133fsb.. and since the new ones run at 133 hmm i dunno anyone?:rolleyes:

Good question. Sounds like Abit isn't in a big hurry to build a 850E mobo when their TH7-II works just fine and supports the "B" series Northwoods and PC1066 RDRAM. I also doubt anyone else will build a better 850E than the TH7-II, at least anytime soon. You can wait and see if you want, but if you can't wait, I'm sure you'll be happy with the current TH7-II.

With the PC800 RDRAM, the memory modules were the bottleneck, now with the PC1066, the DRCG chips are the bottleneck. But, I've heard reports that several people have overclocked the PC1066 with the TH7-II. Seems like Mr. Natural posted results a while back about of his adventures with prototype PC1066 and the TH7-II. I was impressed, but don't remember the exact numbers he achieved.

hmm batty you know the linky??? seraching for it but i dunno name of the thread...

btw o snap guys check it out 3 orange stars (ALRIGHT GUESS NOW I FINALLY HIT 100 POST MARK UHOH WHAT NEXT??? DARE I SAY 1000?)

I kind of get the impression Abit has abandoned RDRAM. I'm in Japan and last weekend, all the TH7IIs were pretty much taken off the shelf. One place was liquidating brand new TH7II-RAIDS for $75 each U.S.! As I was planning on getting a board, I picked up two. The retail stickers on the box show they originally sold for $196 U.S. These are also late 3000+ serial number boards.

I have a theory that the TH7IIs overclock the best of any of the Socket 478 boards, bar none. I have one 1.6a that does 160 and another than does 166 (on Asus P4B266-E and P4S533 boards) and I bet I can get them higher on the Abit. Plus you can lock the PCI and AGP on the TH7II, as I am having stability problems on the P4S533 at 160 FSB because of this.

Even with RDRAM at 3X, I should hit 3200+ bandwidth easily. With the DDR boards, you have to **** bricks and max out your DDR at 200-230 mhz and flog aggressive timings to even come close.

And now with PC1066 out, some guys are even able to hit 145+/4X on the RDRAM with the -03 DCRGs on the TH7IIs.

I also have a P4T-E and that board maxes out at 156 FSB, using jumpers. I heard the latest P4T533-C won't even go to 156 using jumpers, and it's stuck at 150 FSB in the BIOS!

So don't sell your TH7II any time soon.

Heh, I get the feeling *Intel* has abandoned RDRAM.

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1631&p=6

The first point of discussion was the future of RDRAM with the Pentium 4 platform to which Mr. Siu quickly reaffirmed what we had been hearing from motherboard manufacturers - after the 850E, there will be no more RDRAM based chipsets for the Pentium 4.

Kinda sad really, but if rambus could have helped intel ramp speeds faster (read: get official 1066 and unofficial 1200 into the i850e) then i think it would have survived. At this point I'm not even sure if intel would care if rambus could get to 1200 or not.

Hopefully abit makes one last good RDRAM board based on i850E and even tries to put the DRCGs on it to support 800/1066/1200. Until dual channel DDR or DDR-II or DDR400 comes around the P4 isnt at its full potential.

According to HARDOCP, who did an interview with the same guy, that Anandtech article is wrong.

Hmmm.. maybe someone has an axe to grind (either Kyle or Anand, I dunno). [H] also said that the statement was no longer in Anand's review but I just checked and its still there.

From [H]: http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MzAz

Our friends at Anandtech reported yesterday that Mr. Siu had stated that the current i850E would be the last chipset supporting RDRAM, although upon writing this it seems that the statement has been removed from their website.

Last edited:
Darryl, I searched and found that Mr. Natural post I mentioned. Looks like he was able to run at 1178 MHz memory speed. Mr. Natural also claimed to of hit 1200 MHz once, but it was flakey and unstable. I think maybe he was also using a memvolt mod. Regardless, this should give us an idea of potential TH7-II abilities using PC1066 RDRAM.

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=76484

The TH7-II is a great board indeed. With my new cpu I'm running it at 172 Mhz fsb, rock solid too. With my old cpu my Samsung PC800 RDRAM was running at PC1152 with no problems. Now they're running at 3x at 172 Mhz fsb (~PC1032). Rock solid too :) We don't really need another board from Abit anytime soon, although usb 2.0 would be nice.

to answer all your questions about the rdram with the p4 don't worry it's not giong away! The new sis boards coming out sometime july are gonna have the RDRAM SUPPORT!!! so i guess intel is not doing too good with RDRAM.. but as sis boards are cheaper they'll probably be a success! btw thanks a lot batboy! will check tommorow as it's late over here

Last edited:
Intel also plans to release Dual Channel 32bit and dual channel 64bit rambus chipsets in the distant future. This will be after the .09 micron P4 is released im sure, with the official 667fsb.

And rimm 4200 (dual channel 16bit rimms, in a 32bit single chip) is very close to release, although mem and mobo manufacterurs seem to be really hush-hush about it. Its almost like they like the fact we have to buy 2 of everything ;)

Back