• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocked HDD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CPFitz14

What is an affordable hdd that tolerates overclocking well? Looking for a 40gb, 7200rpm, ata 100, preferrably ata 133

GeforceG overclocking does affect your hard drive. If the Frontside bus is higher then you have more of a chance of having data loss and other problems. I have been using Western Digital hard drives myself and have run them at 150 mhz fsb with no problems. I have used Ibms and also seagate but I always use WD as I have had no problems.

Bull said:
GeforceG overclocking does affect your hard drive. If the Frontside bus is higher then you have more of a chance of having data loss and other problems. I have been using Western Digital hard drives myself and have run them at 150 mhz fsb with no problems. I have used Ibms and also seagate but I always use WD as I have had no problems.

Are you SERIOUS? This is very new to me!!

BTW, I heard a lot of horror stories about WD. They don't last very long. I have some trouble eith them my self. Had 3 of them dir on me in the last 2 years. :(

You think WD is bad... wait until you look up stories of the IBM 75GXPs and some of the 60GXPs... hahaha. Once your PCI is overclocked up to 40MHz... some HDs start to puke... itll start giving you errors or data corruption and the worst thing that can happen is you're going to have to wipe the disk clean and start over from scratch. :(

My old Maxtor 8.4Gb drive used to freak out and give data corruption if I overclocked the FSB on the motherboard but Quantum Fireball 8.4Gb used to be sweet. It never gave problems.

Now I use a Maxtor D740X 40Gb ATA133 drive and my motherboard's FSB is at 150MHz - even works at 160MHz as far as I've tested my P4 1.6A - and I've had no data corruption or errors so far.

So if you want a drive that is FAST, quiet and tolerates high overclocking, you can't go wrong with a Maxtor D740X drive.

Hope that helps.

Back