• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unexpected IT7/1.6a first boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kartman

Hello Folks,

This morning I booted my IT7 for the first time. I have handling a 1.6a P4 using Corsair XMS2700. The initial boot got my attention upon entering the BIOS when it thought the processor was a 1.9!

I quickly forced it to stock condition (1.6 via 100 FSB), but I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else? I've built PCs before, but this is the first time I had a processor come up for a first time at a higher than expected speed.

are you referring to the CPU multiplier setting in the BIOS? Or is it actually posting at 1.9GHz?

I've seen the multiplier in my BD7-R BIOS set to 8x for my 1.6A but it posted at 1.6GHz. I don't think that multiplier setting has any effects unless you have an unlocked CPU.

Multipliers on P4s are locked unless you have an engineering sample, so it might have been the FSB set above 100mhz.

To be honest with you, I've never encountered anything like this before. I've built PCs before (all Intel) and never had this happen. I wish I had written down the FSB/Multiplier information before changing it to '1.6 GHz (100)'.

All I know is that I powered on the PC for the very first time and was looking for the most opprtune moment to DEL to get into the BIOS when I noticed it reporting 1.9GHz.

Thinking that my mobo was a little more aggressive than I anticipated, I got into the BIOS and, without thinking of writing down what settings it chose, proceeded to find '1.6GHz (100)'. I also noticed the '1.6GHz (133)', and not even sure which I'm suppose to be using. :)

Ideas? What would you assume if you booted a freshly assembled PC for the first time and your 1.6a came up 1.9? I really, really, really wish I had thought to grab the digital camera. I hate missing this moments, lost in time like tears in the rain.

Well what could have happened is that someone else was testing the board with a 1.6a part, and they left it at the FSB of whatever 16x??? = 1.9Ghz. Unlikely but possible.

Yeah, its one of those pitfalls of building your own PC, huh? I do not know of any motherboard manufacturer that ships their boards in a sealed condition. On one hand this makes it easier for OEM builders, but on the other hand its easier for OEM parts resellers to resell used parts as new.

Back