• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

moving from amd to intel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kev82

...again... I decided to give amd one chance, and haven't been completely satisfied for the last year or so, so I decided to sell my amd stuff and get intel again.

Now what I was wondering is what I should buy... I have no idea what mobo to buy (ddr (I think)), considering overclockability...
I'll be getting samsung pc2700 512mb with it...

I was also what processor to get... I can get 1.6-2.2 at wholesale prices, so I was wondering if there was something not-too-good about 2.2s or something like that...

btw, aren't every 2.2s Northwoods?

The 2.2 should be a Northwood, just make sure whatever speed you get it ends with an A and has a 512k cache on the chip, that's how you'll know it's a Northwood. The advantage of going with a slower chip is they tend to overclock higher and it runs the FSB at a higher speed which gives you better performance. My 1.6A for example is running comfortably at 2.4 with a 150Mhz FSB.

Last edited:
How about motherboards..?

I've been looking at abit BD7II-RAID... looks promising, but I haven't seen anything about it really... so I'm basically just looking for recommendations.. (and wondering about overclockability, like how many pci ratio settings (1/3 1/4..) etc...

mjones alll 2.2's are northwoods! the willy's don't get past 2.0.... just htought i'd let you know.. as for you kev... if you want a board with ddr.. go for the epox 4g4a! best board for ddr out there i think! even wastes all abit boards! And while your at it try to get the 2.2a processor... and overclock the fsb to 137 and you got yourself a 3014 ghz system well g2g now cya and will post the rest later...

Now i've been looking at rdram... and i'm leaning towards that now... to try to get my hands at a 1066mhz chip or something like that..

What mobos have been the overclockers friend...?
And what chipsets?

DDR vs. RDRAM (in your own opinion)

to answer both of your questions at once.. a lot of people are getting problems with the asus p4t-E.. i would reccomend going with the abith th7II basically for several reasons... it supports the new 533 fsb processors (by upgrading to mr. naturals bios) alot and i do mean a lot of people on this forum have this board, so getting help for any problems you have will not be a problem, and it is defiantly the overclockers dream! One can chose to set the memory timings less, and get high fsb.. or up the memory timings to pc 1066 and get a somewhat lower clock.

This are very interessting questions because i will also buy a Intel System. The Hottest AMD (Athlon TB 1400c) died last weekend and now its time to pay a little bit more for a not so risky system. My hole stuff is waiting now to be bought on a online auction:).

My Question is now, which Board is supporting the highest voltage and the finest FSB tuning?
And is it also possible to OC with the muliplier on a intel cpu or only with the FSB?

Keep COOL

I'm not so sure I'd get the 2.2 gig Northwood. You could save some cash by getting one of the cheaper Northwoods like the 1.6a or 1.8a that will overclock about the same. If you decide to get the PC1066 RDRAM and have some extra cash to spend, then look closely at the 2.26 gig. People are really getting great results with those bad boys.

RDRAM is better for several reasons... Firstly the p4 was made with RDRAM in mind... secondly it is the best ram out there today"! Even bests ddr in bandwidth (and trust me p4's need a whole lotta bandwidth) DDR goes at speeds like 333mhz (About as i forget what the actual number... RDRAM can go to speeds up to 4200 mhz (around and about... a new asus board supports it too bad that board isn't out yet... i guess their first waiting for the memory to come out huh?) but as of right now it supports 1066 mhz... the difference is clear 333 mhz as opposed to 1.066ghz

the misconceptions of ddr vs rdram TSK TSK TSK. DDR has a higher bandwith and gets 2 cycles per cpu cycle so 333 runs at 666 with the new chips coming out with 4gb/s bandwith which is huge. but if the rdram greatly overpowers the ddr in clock speed then just like everything else it will win

333MHz DDR does not run at 666... I don't know where you got that one from. 333MHz DDR is running of a 166MHz base clock speed, which is then double-pumped to get the 333MHz speed.

Back