• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What will highering and lowering the voltage of my mobo do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

djs488

Hey guys, I was looking in the CPU database for my 1.6 non-northwood. I sure wish it was. Two people had overclocked above 2.0, one had the voltage at 7.0 and the other at 8.0. The default voltage is 1.75. What are the effects of raising and lowering the voltage?

djs488 said:
Hey guys, I was looking in the CPU database for my 1.6 non-northwood. I sure wish it was. Two people had overclocked above 2.0, one had the voltage at 7.0 and the other at 8.0. The default voltage is 1.75. What are the effects of raising and lowering the voltage?

Ok I think you misread something ;)

The Default voltage of the Intel Northwoods is 1.5 volts, the 7.0 and 8.0 probably is refering to 1.70 volts and 1.8 volts.

Raising the voltage produces more heat and one must compensate for that with good case airflow and usually better heatsinks like a Swiftech, Alpha or a Thermalright AX-478

I had a 1.6a Northwood I tested for a friend the other day and it went right to 133 fsb at default voltage, since the cpu wasnt mine I didnt test its upper limits, but the 1.6a sure is a fun chip :)

no, mine is a NON-NORTHWOOD, otherwise, Intel 1.6G Processor NOT 1.6A. Anyway, i did mean 1.7 and 1.8.

since the default voltage on my 1.6G is 1.75, and i've got an AVC Sunflower w/ Arctic Silver 3, and 130CFM intake and 120CFM exhaust, how high should I make the voltage?

You should not raise the voltage until you begin having stability problems. For example, use default voltage and set the FSB at 110 MHz (16X110=1760 MHz). Next step should be test for stability and then check load CPU temps. If all is well, then step up to maybe 112 FSB and see if it's stable and if the temps are still ok. At some point along the way, you'll lose stability (BSOD, crash, or lockup). Next, raise the voltage up one step and repeat stability test and check for temps. It's a trial and error thing. Each system is different. Don't use anymore voltage than you need, because overvolting can damage the CPU by heat and electromigration.

Back