• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC2100 Level 2 better than PC2700?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

buckhunter

Is it possible that my Mushkin PC2100 Hi-Perf 2-2-2 will out perform PC2700?
I just bought a new mobo and was having little success overclocking and blamed it on the RAM since Sandra was crashing during Memory Bandwidth test.
I sent an email to Mushkin asking them if I could trade in my RAM for PC2700 since I have only had it a few weeks. Here is the reply they sent me:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HI Kevin,
What is going on with your system?
The Level two that you have should out-perform any 2700 that we have- Just so ya know : )

Best Regards,

Michael Friesen
Mushkin Inc.
www.mushkin.com
1-800-569-1868
Fax 1-303-534-0827
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is this possible???:eh?:

Last edited:
Actually, it is very possible. For example, let's say you had a stick of memory that maxed out at 2.5-3-3 at 210MHz DDR. Now, technically this memory could be sold as a PC3200 (DDR400) 2.5-3-3 stick. Let's say that you also tested it at 133MHz DDR and it was also able to run at 2-2-2 timing. According to your results, you could actually sell the memory stick as a PC3200 2.5-3-3 stick or a PC2100 2-2-2 stick :) . So you decided to sell it as a PC2100 2-2-2 stick. Let's say you also had a stick of memory that maxxed out at 170MHz at 2-3-3 timing and also was only able to run at 2-3-3 at 133MHz. You could sell this ram as PC2700 2-3-3 timing or PC2100 2-3-3. You decide to sell it at PC2700 2-3-3. Now, obviously, the first stick of ram has more "potential" than the second even though you decided to sell it as a "slower" rated stick. That is the reason why Mushkin says that the Level 2 PC2100 RAM will perform better than the PC2700 RAM they sell. The Level 2 PC2100 RAM will probably max out higher than the PC2700 RAM they sell even though its "official" ratings are at a lower clock speed.

This is a fairly simple explanation that I hope helps you.

Geoff

BTW: I run 2 sticks of the very memory you own in my main system right now :) Believe me, it is very good memory

force26,

thank you very much for the info!
I knew there was a reason I spent $200 on a 512MB stick. :)

Did you run sissoft Sandra's memory bandwidth test? My system reboots with this new Gigabyte mobo when I run Sandra. Sandra ran successful with my last mobo, FSB at 147 stable and that with 2-2-2 settings in BIOS. I'm a little confused. I guess that means I'm good on the RAM to 295MHz. I tried setting this new mobo to 266MHz for RAM frequency and latency to 2.5 but I can't get Sandra to benchmark my RAM without reboots.

BTW, Mushkin has great service, they reply to my emails the same day. I was just hesitant to believe them due to MY ignorance. They also referred me to memtest sft. I booted to it and I get some errors on test 4 & 6. That is with my BIOS set at 333Mhz. I have to run a lot more tests at other BIOS settings to try to pinpoint my performance. Have you run memtest with the current fsb in your sig?

Last edited:
First off, you are most welcome for the information. I was formerly a DRAM test engineer at TI/Micron so I have some expertise in this area. In fact, if you have every used a 256MB DDR module with Micron chips, chances are it was using the very product I worked on :) .

I have run SiSoft's memory benchmark. I will run it again if I have time tonight and post my results. I don't remember what they were off the top of my head. I have also run Memtest86 v3.0 overnight and encountered no errors.

That is VERY strange that your memory will not benchmark @ 266MHz without rebooting your system. First, are you sure it is your RAM? For example, are you overclocking your CPU? If you are, of course run your processor at stock speed and try again. In the past, a memory problem, however, would usually result in a Windows exception error, blue screen, or registry corruption while a CPU/power supply problem would usually result in a reboot. I know the memory ran fine in your other motherboard, but changing a motherboard changes a lot of parameters. You may want to try switching the DIMM slot that you installed your memory into to see if that helps. Don't discount the fact that you may have a bad DIMM slot on your motherboard.

In either case, I will try to benchmark tonight and post some numbers. Actually, I am upgrading my server with the exact motherboard you are using now, Gigabyte GA-7VRXP. If I get it put together tonight, I will try my Mushkin memory in that system to see if I can duplicate your problems.

force26

force26,

I figured I was talking to an expert!

You are the first person to get some info about RAM through this thick skull of mine!:clap:

I will continue running tests on what I have, including trying another RAM slot, you think I should turn off the power before changing slots? :D

Of course I will be waiting patiently to see what you come up with on your GB. Is building PCs fun or what?:)

Thanks again!

well i dont think it does my friend has some of the same ram as u on cl 2 and my pc 2700 ram i get on pcmark 3600 he gets 3400 even when on 148 fsb for then he gets 3600 but when in on 148 fsb i get 3800 then a 170 fsb andi get 4100

and im on a cl 2.5 hes on 2 i get 4300 when on cl 2

Memory performance not only depends on the memory, but also the chipset which contains the memory controller. Does your friend who scores lower at CL2 have the same motherboard/processor combo as you? If not, you cannot isolate the RAM as the performance difference.

Hmmm what brand of 2700 do you have ??

And do ya'll have the same cpu ??
Or does it matter with that benchmark ??

Edit: Yeah ... what he said :rolleyes:

Holy Bandwidth Batman, its the Penguin!
I'm a Penguin fan!

Thanks for the link, this new mobo I got is going back next week after I return from a fishing trip! I thought my Mushk was good to go!

BTW, That Texas guy on TV tonight talking about Homeland Security is ok in my book!:clap:

Looks like the Mushkin Rocks and Georgie says lets Roll!

Last edited:
:D

What board are you running? ABIT, Soyo, ASUS, and Gigabyte seem to be the best for overclocking. Thank you, (I have no idea of whom you are refering to...oh well, he's a Texan, it doesn't matter:beer:. )
________
Toyota mark x specifications

Last edited:
I just got the Gigabyte in my sig this past weekend and it has been real flaky.
I am returning it next week for something with C.O.P.
ASUS A7V333 is the only one I know of with CPU Overheating Protection. Having fried a new AMD 2100 two days ago COP is a must have for me!

Think about it, your away from your PC and your Fan fails, I've been told it takes about 5 seconds for it to fry!

mo beer:beer:

I've been corresponding with Mushkin about my RAM because I had some errors running memtest86 at FSB 140.(my old mobo ran it up to 147 stable as a rock) I'm betting that it is my new mobo. Below is an email I received from them.
Mushkin customer service is the BEST I have ever experienced. Email returned the same day!:clap:

email below from Mushkin:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
If it fails in Memtest in a different slot we should get it replaced. However this still may not be the issue as memtest tests cache on your MB, Vid Card, and CPU as well-
Please let me know-
Best Regards,
Michael Friesen
Mushkin Inc.
www.mushkin.com
1-800-569-1868
Fax 1-303-534-0827
-------------------------------------------------------------------
They are willing to make good on that LIFETIME warranty even though my RAM is probably fine! I will test it another PC next week and post my results.

Yeah, the Asus does have that feature, but....everything is controled by jumpers, have fun:beer: . No doubt, Mushkin has the best memory support out there, the reviewer from the link I showed you earlier will tell you the same
________
Green crack pictures

Last edited:
Just got a new mobo & CPU.
The Gigabyte I had was bad.
Now I have THE motherboard!
ABIT KX7-333R with AMD 2100 CPU at 1.923 Ghz without any effort.
Installed and configured in less than an hour.
My Mushkin is running 2-2-2, frequency 362.5 MHz.
My benchmarks are through the roof!
This ABIT/AMD/MUSHKIN combo is fantabulous! :D
PCMARK
CPU 5750
RAM 3853
HD 1151 (not raid at present)
Pretty good results with a locked CPU and stock voltages!

3DMark, Dacris, Sandra Benchmarks are pretty good also.
Now for the real test, I'm gonna play some 3D games!

Last edited:
buckhunter said:
Just got a new mobo & CPU.
The Gigabyte I had was bad.
Now I have THE motherboard!
ABIT KX7-333R with AMD 2100 CPU at 1.923 Ghz without any effort.
Installed and configured in less than an hour.
My Mushkin is running 2-2-2, frequency 362.5 MHz.
My benchmarks are through the roof!

You mean you're running DDR725?
________
MEXICO HOTELS

Last edited:
Back