• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1066rambus vs PC3000ddr. What mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Emericana

Gonna very soon get a 1.6a machine and would like to know if the performance gain of 1066 Kingston rambus is worth the extra $60 (in 2x256) over 512mb Corsair PC3000. obviously i am gonna overclock. i know that PC800 can not hit as high speeds as DDR can.

Now for the second part of the question. i know if i decide to go DDR, i know what mobo i will be getting, the epox 4g4a+. The main reason i want that is because it allows up to 1.85v and i really dont feel like doing pin wrapping.

What is the best 1066 rambus board. i would very much like one that supports 1.85v.

Also will i notice a difference between overclocked 1066 and ddr3000?

With the RDR you'll notice about 5-15% better performance than with DDR on the P4. Doesn't matter if the DDR can overclock higher, you still won't get the bandwidth RDR can provide. DDR is just now hitting PC800 bandwidth.

When Dual channel DDR comes out, we should see a difference.

P4t533-c asus

i didn't have much luck with my P4t533-c asus and my 2.0a. I can only get 2.400. I can get it to boot into 2666 but the mobo won't keep the voltage up. Sometimes when you boot it resets it to 1.6 and then the computer hangs. I haven't dont the wire trick yet though.

I imagine if I do that I should be stable at 2672 is what is says when it boots. My PC 800 memory is stable at 1066. It is samsung with 40 ns.

I have a thread talking about my experience. You can check it out. I will post the benchmarks there.

Dave

I am going to go with the Abit IT7 because i read numerious threads on various boards on how the epox board is very bad. it looks very easy to get 1.85v using that defogger repair mod thats a sticky so i am gonna do that. Hopefully on the 1.6a i will be able to get 1ghz (or more) overclock. I will be cooling it with a a AX478 and a 50cfm Sunon fan. On my athy right now at 1.85 i get around 38C usin a AX7 so i would only imagine that i would get a little less than that on a p4.

for ram i am gonna get 512 corsair xms3000 and am gonna add a thermaltake active cooling kit onto it. From the reviews that i have read, the ttake kit DOES do something. it allows you to get 3-5 extra fsb. While this may sound minimal, if you are getting a OC of 2580mhz and wanna get 1ghz, this kit will give you the extra mhz needed

Back