• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what should i do with my old mobo and PIII 700 chip that i wont use when i upgrade???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ssgohan434

Silicon Valley---> moved to Washington State
what should i do with my old mobo and PIII 700 chip that i wont use when i upgrade???

i currently have a mobo that i dont know the name of but it came in a Compaq 5BW160 and a PIII 700mhz chip and i want to upgrade to a 1.5ghz P 4 and to do so i need to get a new motherboard but then what will i do with the old one? Is there some place that takes in used computer parts? (i dont have a job or anything i just turned 15 so i dont have so much money, i only have about $180) any advice?

Install linux on it :)

No I dunnow... you could probably sell it on ebay or something like that tho.

But you probably won't get much money for it, so don't get your hopes up ;)

Do not get the 1.5 gig P-4, get the 1.6a gig Northwood. You might consider selling your old parts on this forum's classified ads or eBay. The other problem I see is that you really don't have enough cash to build a P-4 system. In addition to a new P-4 CPU and socket 478 mobo, you'll need a P-4 compliant power supply and RDRAM or DDR memory (forget using the old SDRAM with the P-4). If you go with RDRAM, you need to buy the memory in pairs.

I'd suggest hang on to what ya got a little longer and saving up more cash for your dream P-4 system. Mow some neighbors yards or something. Or, if you "have" to upgrade, maybe investing in an Abit ST6 mobo, then overclocking the P-III 700 to at least 933 MHz for now. If you're a gamer, use the rest of the money for a good vid card. Later, when you have a little more money, you can get a 1.0a or 1.1a Tualatin Celeron that will overclock up into the 1.4+ gig range.

Back