• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DMAN505

Registered
Hi all, I just joined the forms to ask some questions about overclocking my cpu. I have the Asus P4B266 and the P4 1.6a (sorry I dont know if it's the Costa Rica chip or Malay one), I also have one 512mb DDR micron and one 256mb DDR micron stick (both are PC2100). I wanted to know if I set the CPU Frequency to 133 or 150mhz what else in the bios would I need to change?Do I need to change the CPU/Memory Frequency Ratio to 1:1 or 3:4? Do I have to change my pci/agp frequency and if so where? I know I will probably have to change the CPU Vcore in order to get stability at 133 or 150mhz. And the final question is, I just got the cpu and mb today...how long should I wait before I start to overclock? Thanks for any help you can provide. :)

I also have one 512mb DDR micron and one 256mb DDR micron stick (both are PC2100).

This might cause issues, usually sticking the 1 stick is the best route.

wanted to know if I set the CPU Frequency to 133 or 150mhz what else in the bios would I need to change?Do I need to change the CPU/Memory Frequency Ratio to 1:1 or 3:4?

It will default to 1:1 at 133 or higher. Leave it at 3:4 for any speeds below 133.

Do I have to change my pci/agp frequency and if so where?

The divisors kick in automatically based on the FSB speed. It is rumored that setting memory optimization to Turbo1 locks the PCI/AGP speeds to 36/72.

I know I will probably have to change the CPU Vcore in order to get stability at 133 or 150mhz

Just bump it up one setting at a time and keep in eye on your temps, the higher the voltage the more heat your processor will put off.

And the final question is, I just got the cpu and mb today...how long should I wait before I start to overclock?

Long as you got good cooling you can get to it right now! :D

P4B266

Thank you very much Mjones73 for the quick response, I will do it tonight when I get home from work and will use only the 512mb DDR stick. Again Thank-you. :)

Back