• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4b266

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GOOFY

I'm running a P4 1.8a on my board.

I overclocked it till 128 FSB. When I go any further the system becomes unstable and from 133 FSB (2.4 GHz) it wont even boot up. I tried already losts of different settings for the Vcore and mem.

Which are the best memsetting knowing that I use a stick of 256 MB Apacer DDR-266.

I read a lot about burning in. What does it mean and how is it done ?

greetz,

Goof :mad:

If you you think it's the memory, set the memory multiplier to 1:1 and that will run the memory at the same speed as the FSB so you can push it higher. The memory should be able to atleast go to 133 at that setting at stock voltages.

If that doesn't do the trick you have other issues then memory.

mjones73,

what you proposed, don't seem to work. It is not possible to get to 133FSB at all.

My computers posts, but don't want to boot Win xp.

I hear the HDD tick and then it stops after I got the XP startup screen.

Before the Asus, I had a MSI 845 Ultra AR mobo and I had the same problem. I simply can't oc the cpu till 2.4 GHz. I reached 2.35 GHz (FSB 131)

I guess the mem is the problem ( I even changed the Vmem, but it didn't help at all ).

Or am I that mistaken and is it the cpu (Costa Rica plant) that is too limited.

Greetz,

Goof, still
:mad: :mad:

It's your CPU most likely, unless the memory is bad it should run at 133 with no problem. You might need to hit it with more voltage as long as your temps are under control.

mjones73,

if it is the cpu, then I'm really disappointed. In every forum it's told that the P4 NW is a real overclocker.
I even prefered a 1.8 over a 1.6. and took DDR333 instead of DDR226 for overclocking purposes.

I tried almost everything by changing the Vcore to the max, even bought another mobo ( the MSI 845 ultra wasn't so bad after all).

I must say that I expected a lot more from the cpu. Running at 2.4 was really a minimum that I can't even hit.

It is only possible to run at 2.4 from a reboot after bios changes, but the system won't boot in windows or power on start.

I almost can't believe that my 1.8A is THAT limited (+500 MHz).

If you can suggest something else, please let me know.

Greetz,

Goofy :argue:

The majority of Northwoods are good overclockers, that doesn't mean 100% of them are.

Couple of things you can still try,

Less aggresive memory timings or see if you can borrow some ram to rule out yours insn't bad.

If your temps are under control you could try the vid pin mod in the Intel CPU forum to get more voltage to the processor.

You also want a decent power supply, what is your 12 volt line reading at when you start cranking up the CPU core voltage?

mjones73,

unfortunally I can't borough another RAM stick unless I buy one.

The Ram settings are either the 1:1 divider and the other settings are controled by SPD.

I crancked up the Vcore to the max (1.7V) and the +12V line remains stable at + 12.16V, the + 3.3 V stays at + 3.296 V.

I guess that it's very stable ( Chieftec 300 W PSU = Enermax ??).

Greetz,

Goofy
:beer:

ps : I try to keep up the good spirit.

Goofy your P4B266 should let you get the VCore up to 1.775v if you enable the OVERVOLT (can't remember exact name) jumper on the board. Also, what voltage did you jumper the DDR to on the board?

I used to struggle getting my old Costa Rican 1.6A to get to 2.4GHz at maximum VCore that my P4B266 allowed. I eventually sold that chip and bought another. This new one does 2.56GHz easily but I've backed it down to 2.4GHz for now. :)

If you can, get hold of another 1.8A or a 1.6A from the newer batches as they're pretty good.

kharnivore,

I enabled the overvolt by changing te jumper. The BIOS says I can put 1.775 V on the core.

Now when I select 1.775 V the sytem won't boot because hardware monitor detected a problem.

HWM indicates a red Vcore of 1.72V, so I suppose I cant get more then 1.7 V out of my PSU ?????? (chieftec 300W PSU).

Concerning de DDR, I tried several setting from 2.5 till 2.7 V.

I simply cant get near 2.4 GHz with this chip or memory (256 MB Apacer DDR333) !

Now the CPU S-code is SL63X and FPO# 3207A381. I guess that these are very recent ( packdate april, 8th 2002).

If I buy a new one it will be a 533 MHz CPU. I have to change my mobo aswell. I'll see.

The CPU is now running stable at 2.25 GHz (FSB 128) and I'm not satisfied at all.

Greetz,

:mad:

Goofy I'm running MBM 5 to check my stats and temps. If I was you i'd use that too. I dunno I just find it much better than HDMonitor.

Here's a shot of my 1.6A @ 2.4GHz which has been running 15 mins of CPUBurn4.

khanivore.jpg

My +12v line hangs at 11.73v under full CPU load. Under idle status it hangs at 11.80v. This is with Enermax EG465P-VE(FC) PSU.

What does your +12v line hang at on idle and full load with your current overclocked speed?

Last edited:
Back