• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

st6 - problems with divider and memory speed settings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rayik

I'm having problems setting the divider and memory speed with my st6. I've searched and read past threads which suggest solutions which didn't work. BIOS is 8A. CPU is Celeron 1.2

Concerning divider:

1. If I set 4:4:1 divider below 133 fsb, the computer either will not post at all (blank screen) and the on-board speaker will make high-low sounds (like an ambulance). It will only post with 3:3:1 divider.

The past posts about setting 4:4:1 at 133fsb and then rebooting and setting lower fsb did not work on my board. The past posts about setting 4:4:1 at 100 fsb and then rebooting and setting lower fsb did not work on my board.

How did you folks get the 4:4:1 divider to work at less than 133 fsb?

2. If the divider is 3:3:1 is that what it is actually running? Why I question that:

Sandra indicates a 3.5x multiplier (which I assume is the divider). (Sandra also indicates a front side bus of "1 x 430 mhz (430 mhz data rate" - which I don't understand. I have fsb set at 125).

If the divider is 3 then my pci is running at 41 and agp is running at 82. If 3.5 then pci is 35 and agp is 70. Since I get "windows.exe" errors occuring over 126 fsb (and more errors as fsb increases) I think its at 3 (and not 3.5).

Concerning memory speed setting:

1. BIOS indicates "automatic" and does not allow me to change it to either 100 or 133 (I have pc133). How can I set it to 133?

I read past threads and tried setting CPU speed as 12 x 100 (rather than user defined). However, it only allowed me to have 100 speed ram. Setting CPU to 12 x 133 allowed me to choose 100 or 133 ram. However, would not post with 12 x 133 getting "cmos error" message.

2. With automatic setting, is memory speed the user defined fsb (in my case 125) or is it selecting 133 speed automatically and adding 25 (158 ultimate speed). I suspect the first (125) which is why I am trying to set it to 133.

Thanks for the help.

I have EXACTLY the SAME PROBLEM!!

I have unfortunately no solution. Are all st6's like this?

I also have problems with many usb devices. If I have my usb hug connected while booting I will not get past post screen. If I disconnect it, the puter will boot just fine and then I can reconnect the usb hub.

Anyone got a clue about this?

you're not the only one with this question..

I posted the same exact thing last week but no one replyed, so I'm guessing no one has the answers to it..

ok.. thanx.. but the important thing is: how we establish that our boards are in fact not working the way they should be, how do we prove this? I emailed Abit and all they say is that they don't support overclocking.

I've played around with the 4:4:1 divider. Got it to sort of work. If I set fsb at 133 and divider 4:4:1 it will post. Enter BIOS and lower fsb keeping divider at 4:4:1. Save change. As long as fsb goes down 1 or 2 at a time, it will keep posting. Keep re-entering BIOS each time it posted.

Finally let load at 122 fsb with 4:4:1 divider (which is what I normally run). Windows booted up fine.

However, once the computer was shut down it would not post with 4:4:1 divider. Had to reset CMOS. So this is not a solution to getting 4:4:1 divider.

Ran Sandra tests at 122 fsb with both 4:4:1 and 3:3:1 divider. Basically identical results. Only difference was my hard drive (30G 7200 rpm) which showed 18,091 at 4:4:1 and 17,884 at 3:3:1. Don't know if it is significant.

Also Sandra showed 3.5 multiplier at both 4:4:1 and 3:3:1. Only difference was front side bus speed of 423 at 3:3:1 and 424 at 4:4:1 (don't know if it means anything).

I can't figure out how to get this board to do 4:4:1 multiplier.

I had a weird problem when I first set up my st6 where I could not get into my bios to reset or store any settings. I eventualy found that I had a fan conected to the #2 fan header that had a trimmer pot on it. Once I removed it and reset my cmos with the jumper all was well. Try resetting your cmos first. Then if that doesnt do it maybe re-flash your bios. As far as sandra reporting bogus ram speed timmings I get some weird numbers too. I use wcpuid to check my ram speeds.

davefred99 said:
I had a weird problem when I first set up my st6 where I could not get into my bios to reset or store any settings. I eventualy found that I had a fan conected to the #2 fan header that had a trimmer pot on it. Once I removed it and reset my cmos with the jumper all was well. Try resetting your cmos first. Then if that doesnt do it maybe re-flash your bios. As far as sandra reporting bogus ram speed timmings I get some weird numbers too. I use wcpuid to check my ram speeds.

hmm..I'm going to have to try some of those..
hopefully it'll work..

alright, well I just tried it, and 4:3:1 work, but 4:4:1 still crashes..
I'm back to 133 FSB and 3:3:1 settings since it gives the best performace for me compared to 4:3:1..

Last edited:
Hey everyone. I just want to add that I can't make 4:4:1 even post in case you missed that :) I removed all the fans I could find but to no avail.

When I try to set the 4:4:1 and restart.. all i get is a blank screen and some beeping! I then have to turn the puter off, pull out the power cord and restart and push del+ ins like a mad man.

CaineTanathos said:
Just wondering:

4:4:1 divider works when you have a FSB of 133 or greater right ?

but not < than 133

actually, when I set in the BIOS to boot at 1.46(133) it chooses 4:3:1, not 4:4:1, so that's probally why it won't boot with 4:4:1 at 133 FSB..

pretty weird, and you use the latest version of the bios ?

but there people here on this board (I am pretty new here :) )
with the ABIT st6 who don't have this problem ? right

because I might buying also a abit st6 with a celeron 1.2

I had exactly the same problem, could not even post with 4:4:1 under 133MHz. I could not even use 66MHz 2:3:1 and so on -- only the 3:3:1 worked.

Strangely, doing a voltage mod on the processor cured it.
Now I can use the 4:4:1 with any clockspeed and even with the standard 1.475V Vcore (I'm using a 1.2G celeronII)

I've verified that the CPU/PCI ratio really is 4 now; My onboard audio stops to work at 38MHz and I'm now running 122MHz FSB -> 3:3:1 would be 41MHz PCI, and 4:4:1 31MHz. The audio works fine, so the 4:4:1 must also be true.

This is really weird... Maybe the mobo/bios has some bug with VID-pins? The mod I made was the simple VID1 - VID2 interconnection.

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=99320

Glad to see your 4:4:1 is working tjvirtan. I've also done the vid pin mod (but the 1.85 mod since I'm stuck with it when the pin broke off when I tried to clean off the fingernail polish). Even after the vid pin mod the 4:4:1 won't work on my board.

I optimized the cooling and had to remove the processor for a while. After that I noticed that my computer would not again post with 4:4:1 <133MHz. So the voltage mod didn't actually cure my problem with the 4:4:1.

I got it to run 4:4:1 now by setting FSB to 133 (4:4:1), booting, straight to BIOS, setting the FSB lower. Now it cold- and warm-boots again with any FSB and 4:4:1.

Seems that posting with 133 & 4:4:1 first is the key to make it work. Too bad if the processor would not post at that FSB :(

--
Abit ST6, Celeron 1.2 SL5XS @ 1.493 (124.4), 1.8V

Back