• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1.6A Temps after Wire mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johnnychangs

Registered
Hi
This is my first post here :) I've already seen some familiar names from some other forums I frequent.

Anyway...I picked up an Abit BD7II with a P4 1.6A. I did the Wire Mod on the P4, and I threw on a thin coat of ASIII before installing my Alpha PAL8942 (Thermaltake Thermal fan).

I would like to know what average temps of a 1.6A are at Default Vcore after the Wire mod.

I have my FSB set at 132, fixed PCI 33mhz, 3/4 ratio. It equals out to 21xxMhz. (I'm writing this from work). My idle temps are at 47C, and after 8 hours of Prime95, 55C.

I have read numerous posts here and elsewhere about Abit motherboards not displaying Temps/Voltages correctly. At Default Vcore, I get 1.61-1.65v.

What is odd is that If I touch the heatsink, it is cool to the touch. maybe a little warm, but hardly noticeable. When my AthlonXP2000 was at 55C, my Thermalright AX-7 would be hot to the touch.
--One quick note...I have two AMD boards, an Abit AT7 and an MSI K7T266Pro2-RU. At default speeds, same processor, same heatsink/fan...the AT7 was at 43/49C, and the MSI would read 37C/44C. Odd.

I have the Fan blowing onto the heatsink. Also the Thermal fan is a variable speed fan with a temp sensor. Possibly this may be an issue also. When I touch the temp sensor with two fingers and wait a bit, the fan speed does increase. I have a spare Mechatronics 80mm 53CFM fan I'm going to try tonight.

Cheers

Have the same heatsink, Alpha 8942 with YSTech80mm@3700rpm.
With my Th7II and 1.6NW @ 1.63-1.65v the idle is 45c, Prime95 load shows 54c. My last HSCooler setup was 43c idle, 57c load. I'm not overly pleased with the Alpha .. was hoping to see idle temps in the high 30s, but it does well with the CPU under load. What I found odd was fan speed didnt matter much ... using SpeedFan, I lowered the YSTech to just under 2500rpm ... both idle and load temps stayed the same, perhaps a 1c increase during load. The only benefit I've found with higher fan rpms on the Alpha was lowering temps faster when CPU load drops off. For the hell of it, I even turned the fan off and idle didnt change at all, load did reach 58c after several hours. Weird.

Hi
Thanks for the reply.
I replaced the Thermaltake fan that was stuck at around 2900rpm. For the hell of it I tried using a Mechatronics fan (? RPM, 53CFM) and my temps are similar to yours...44C idle, 54C load.

What direction do you have the fan blowing? On the processor or away from it?

The Alpha instructions indicate mounting the fan to pull air away from the heatsink, but I've seen better results blowing onto a heatsink ... the Alpha is no exception. Opinions may vary.

Back