• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TH7II-Raid-Should I RMA?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dclock

Hello,

Here is the issue, I purchased my TH7II-Raid back in Feb. It has been a solid board. However, I recently noticed that one of the LED's on the MB is missing. It is the one that lights up for HD access. To clarify, this is the LED on the MB, the external light works great. The LED is just missing, with no evidence of damage. It just looks like the light was never placed on the board, as the two solder points are there, not the bulb. Newegg has offered an RMA, but is this really an issue?

One more question. I have went through three 3.5 floppies with this new board. When I first hook up the floppy, it is recognized in the BIOS, but will not read correctly till after several (20-25) boots. Though I only use it for BIOS Flash, it will quit reading properly after a few uses. I have tried different model floppy drives, new cable, the works. Right now my drive is working, but I expect it to die within a month or so. I have build many systems, but this is my first ABit board. I have never seen anything like this before. I KNOW I an hooking it up correctly. I will say that after I remove the broken drives from the Abit board and try it in another machine, it is really dead. I just can't believe that the motherbaord could be causing the drives to destroy themselves. Wierd problem, I know.

Anyway, thanks for any advice. FYI, Using the latest "official Bios".

TH7-II Raid
[email protected] stock sink@38C
512 RDRAM/800

I would not RMA because of the LED!! It's not worth the trouble...

Have you tried to connect the Floppy to another of the PSU Cables?? Perhaps it is a PSU issue... Can't be the board!

Which thermal compound do you use to cool your [email protected] to 38 (is it idle)? What is your MB and environment temp?

Merkor

Thanks for the reply,

Yeah, agree the LED is a minor issue, took me 4 months to notice! I have tried a different PSU cable. Actually, I upgraded the PSU to the Antec PP-412X recently. I guess it simply could be that I ran into a bad batch of floppies, but that doesn't seem likely.

I use the standard Intel heatsink, ASIII to get the 38C at idle. The temp just kept going down for the first month. If it is truely idle, then it actually stays at about 36C. When I go to 133 FBS (2.4) it goes up to 41C, or 45C after a run of 3dMark. I don't really need that speed, just screwing around, so I have not left the FSB that high other than to benchmark.

I am using the Antec SX 830 case, and have 5 case fans (3 front+2 Back). Each case fan has the variable speed dial on them, so I set all of them on the slowest spin setting, which gets me a good airflow without all the noise. It does move a lot of air, and I ended up putting some thin foam in the front of the case to cut down on the dust intake. I will check the environment temp tonight, but it is in my office in the basement and generally stays cool down there 66-68F.

Thanks for the reply.

Back