• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bd7II and sb live value problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wittynewt

Hi,

Have my new system based around a BD7II working fine and have been using the onboard audio while I set it up for the last few days.
Tonight I finally took my old main system down and decided to add my sb live value from that old pute to the BD7II system.

Added the card into PCI1, connected up the spdif to my dvd and cd audio to cdrw. Booted the system and went into the bios and disabled the onboard AC97, midi port and game port.
Rebooted. Win XP found the hardware and seemed to install it fine and then asked for a reboot and I took the system down.
However, the system never rebooted, it seemed to shutdown fine but wouldn't restart, hard disk light was on but it had hung.
So I tried reseting, but it was still hung. So I then turned off the PSU and when I switched it on, nothing happened. The green led on the motherboard flashed, the keyboard flashed but no other activity. Tried several times but the system just would not come alive. By this time I was begining to sweat :)
I then removed the SB live value and everything would now power up fine and seems to be all working. I re-enabled the AC97 stuff and it still works.

Is there some problem with the SB Live value compatibility wise? Anyone heard of anything like this? It worked fine in my BX6r2 system.

Am I going to have to buy a new soundcard? The AC97 stuff is ok for everyday stuff but sucks for games. If so what should I get, whats good at the moment? I bought my SB live value 3.5 years ago and am a little rusty concerning what the good souncards are at the moment. Am I going to have the same problems with another creative card such as the audigy plat?

My new system consists of:

Win XP Home
coolermaster 201
enermax 365
1.8A P4
256 2100 Crucial RAM
gainward ti4400 XP
2 x IBM 120GXP 41.2GB on RAID 0
1 x 6.5G Quantum EX and Philips CDRW 4012 on IDE 1
1 x IBM 75GXP 30GB and ASUS DVD E616 on IDE 2
29160 SCSI and HP DAT40
Using onboard LAN
external ISDN TA.

Anything else in here that might be conflicting with the SB live?

P.S. The BD7II board is running the latest bios 93K from Abit.
Also posted to video/soundcard forum.

Cheers,

WittyNewt

why don´t you try your SB LIVE in another PCI-slot?

-> normally the AGP-slot and the PCI#1-slot are sharing IRQs!

so i think, in PCI#2 your SB LIVE should work properly...

how much other PCI-cards are you using?

thanks

Hi Detonator,

Thanks, when I said PCI1 I actually meant PCI5, the one furthest from the agp card for the very reason you suggest, (thats how I would have numbered them anyway, from left to right :) )

SB live was in PCI5 and my 29160 was in PCI4 and that was it, have a card cooler next to the graphics card in PCI2 and a USB bracket covering PCI3.

I have got it working now, disabled plug and play in the bios and XP installed it fine and rebooted correctly.

Rebooted several times since then and no further issues.

It really freaked me out though when I found that the pute just wouldn't do anything at power up, just a flashing light and nothing, no screen, no fans, nothing, I thought I had blown a component for sure.

I just hope I don't have a problem lurking in the background that is going to resurface sometime later :).

Also, apologies for posting the message to two different forum boards, didn't realise it would appear twice in the new messages section :).

Cheers,

WittyNewt.

Back