• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TH7II w/ memoryt at full speed @ 138fsb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Justin2050

Disabled
I have a th7II m/b w/ a 1.8a p4, samsung double sided 800 mhz rdram. I have been able to only hit around 145fsb w/ ram on auto and make it into windows, which is around 2632ghz. Recently I installed a couple more fans, specifically one mounted onto my volcano heatsink aimed at the ram, now I can get to 138fsb with the ram at4x which is pc1088 and I get around 3400 on sandras memory benchmark, but the thing is I still cant get past like 146 even with the memory at 3x, anyone have any ideas on whats holding me back, oh yeah how do I disable that damn voltage alarm.

It's not your RAM. If it runs at 138 FSB at 4x, it must run at more than 166 FSB at 3x. It's your CPU, it needs better cooling or more voltage, or it just won't run any faster.

th7ii temps

It runs at 45d celcius idle and 49-52 full load but I am almost sure its really 10 degrees cooler than what the hw monitor says, I have the 4 vid pin mod w/ a default voltage of 1.95 and the official abit 7cbios which for me was even more stable than any of mr. naturals its what allowed me to go past 133 fsb w/ ram at full speed too. whenever I try going over about 1.85 the voltage alarm goes off

Dude, you have hit the limits of your system. those temps look correct to me. I would not run the voltages higher than 1.85v for long term, people have been frying their CPUs doing that. When you have the memory set on auto at those high clock speeds, I'll guarantee it's only running at 3X. You said yourself that 4X setting won't make it to 138 FSB (which by the way is quite good for PC800). That is an excellent overclock, you should be happy and proud to reach that much.

"49-52 full load but I am almost sure its really 10 degrees cooler"

What on earth makes you think that ??? Those temps are definitely realistic, in fact excellent. My (and others') overclocked Northwoods in a Th7-II mobo reach 60 C under load, and even that's acceptable.

laja said:

What on earth makes you think that ??? Those temps are definitely realistic, in fact excellent. My (and others') overclocked Northwoods in a Th7-II mobo reach 60 C under load, and even that's acceptable.

I agree with Laja. The temp may be off by about 2 degrees. But to think it is 10 degrees off.....hmmm, I dare to differ on that.

laja said:

60c? no wonder your frying chips.

thats not acceptable even for an Athlon

Malaki, you are definitely and obviously wrong. The only reason you never see 60 C with Athlons is that they don't have a thermistor right inside the processor die. Athlons' temps are very inaccurate (i.e. way below the actual CPU temps) as they are measured by a thermistor in the mobo's socket. According to Intel's own specification charts, the P4 Northwoods may run at up to 66 C, although admittedly I wouldn't like to reach that...

laja said:
Malaki, you are definitely and obviously wrong. The only reason you never see 60 C with Athlons is that they don't have a thermistor right inside the processor die. Athlons' temps are very inaccurate (i.e. way below the actual CPU temps) as they are measured by a thermistor in the mobo's socket. According to Intel's own specification charts, the P4 Northwoods may run at up to 66 C, although admittedly I wouldn't like to reach that...

60c is too hot for a CPU in my opinion period.

im not a n00b, all of my temps are monitored with thermistors and a digital Doc 5. the flat thermistor for monitoring CPU temps is epoxied to the side of the AXP's core.

im sitting at 40c right now with 2.1vcore.
i am sure that temps that high would destabilize my system.

and u cant rely on a mobo's temps "being to high"
what if its actually reporting temps 5c lower than they really are? than your going to fry your chip.

you OBVIOUSLY have no idea what YOUR talking about. on top of that Athlon XP's DO have an onboard thermistor, a few boards use it.

Back