• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit SD7-533 Sound Problems (Help)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bubunator

This is a weird one, so I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this issue. I am running an Abit SD7-533 MB with the latest BIOS revision, 2x512 cas 2.5 Kingston DDR, 80 gig WD hd, Windows XP Pro @ 2.4ghz (not overclocking). Frontside bus of 100, ram at 133 for stabilities sake while I try and solve this.

I can't get ANY sound to work at all. I can't seem to get the onboard sound card to work, nor any soundcard for that matter, I tried a Soundblaster Live, Soundblaster 128, and some Realtech $5 special...Best I've managed to do is get a weird High Pitched feedback noise to come out of the speakers which work fine of a diskman output.

So far I have tried swaping out the RAM (used ram from other pc), Changing out the soundcards (disabling the onboard one in the bios & moving pci slots for others), bumping down the cas latency on the ram to the slowest settings, Updating the bios to the latest revision (7r I think). Reinstalling windows xp pro...NOTHING has helped. System is stable & runs 3dmark 2001 just fine.

I am totaly stumped on this one. The only thing I can think of is that I am missing a motherboard driver of some sort (ya, I lost the abit cd). the only thing I can find for the SIS 645 chipset is the AGP driver ver 1.09...abit's wonderful website ofcourse has jack **** for the board.

HELP, any ideas...anyone?!? I can pretty much bet my left nut that its something with this motherboard, since the soundcards work fine in other systems, but I can't figure out what. Am I just missing a driver? Anyone that still has their origional ABIT SD7-533 cd...can ya check for me?

Anyway, I'm ranting, its almost midnight and I have no sound :confused:

I had the same problem with that board. Tried SB-live player, SB-live 5.1 and onboard soundcard but had no sound with any of the cards.
I didn't find a solution (sorry) so I've changed my board with an abit TH7II. :)

Try here for the drivers. Looking at my set-up file, it uses the CMI8738 chipset. This link should take you to the download page. Hope this helps you.

weird fix

This is a weird fix but here is what I did to get things running.

1. Installed 6x bios

2. Installed a PCI sound card...a generic 5 dollar realtech cheepo.

3. Enabled onboard c-media soundcard with generic soundcard installed & installed the c-media driver (I didin't use the setup program included, but just pointed xp to the .inf file)

PC came on with sound after reboot. I was geting strange distorted feedback in place of regular windows sounds before I did this.

I have a theory, the c-media driver is complete crap with XP. If you somehow goof up, or do anything out of the oridnary in your initial install of the onboard sound I will bet there is a good chance of messing up some sound related .dll in win xp.

Back