• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4S533 - new system - need advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Marcus_Alaric

This will be the first system I've put together, and I'd like to make sure I'm making the right buying decisions. Here's what I've got so far:

Asus P4S533 SIS645DX
P4 2.4B 533mhz
2 x Corsair CMX512-3200 400mhz 512Mb
Antec Plus1080B w/True 430W PS
Teac 1.44 Floppy
WD 100Gb 1000JB ATA/100 7200rpm SE 8Mb buffer
MSI GF4 Ti4600
Pioneer DVD-116
CreativeLabs Audigy Gamer

* Memory: the Corsair spec sheet at http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/products/specs/CMX512-3200.pdf says that the CMX512 3200 is dual banked memory, so I am hoping that I can put 2 of them onto a P4S533 (to fill the 4 bank maximum). However, it is also listed as CAS2.5. Would I be better off buying Corsair CMX512-3000C2, with CAS2.0 instead? The catch is that the CMX512-3000C2 is listed as being tested out at 185mhz max, while the CMX512-3000 is listed at being tested out at 200mhz max.

* More memory: interestingly, the Corsair spec sheet says that the CMS512-3000C2 module is CAS2.0 with one module installed, but CAS2.5 with two modules installed. Should I just stick with CMX512-2700, which is listed at CAS2.0 (the spec sheet doesn't say if the 2700 drops to CAS2.5 with two modules installed...it doesn't mention that part at all).

* Hard drive: should I use a MAXTOR 80.0GB DX6L080J4 EIDE ULTRA-ATA 133 8.5NS 7200RPM 2MB BUFFER instead of the Western Digital (increases to ATA133 but the buffer drops to 2Mb)

* www.mwave.com this is where I'm looking, and they listed the memory as CMX512-3000 with CAS2.0. Probably an entry error by one of their web site guys, will have to ask them. Is mwave a reputable online site otherwise?

* DVD and floppy: I have no idea what the best DVD drive is, and picked the Pioneer at random. Same with floppy drive. Probably not critical picks here, but I might as well make good choices here.

* Sound: does the SBAudigy handle EAX 3.0?

* Any reason to stay away from the P4S533? It seems like a good mobo to my very untrained eye :)

Thanks very much for your input,

Marcus

Last edited:
long answer to your long question...

if you're planning on overclocking, i'd suggest you get a 100mhz fsb "a" family and not the 133mhz fsb "b" family of processors. the reason for this is that you have more room to overclock that fsb if you start out at 100mhz than if you start out at 133mhz. the p4s533's max fsb setting is 166mhz if you didn't know.

the memory you listed is what i've read to be the best performing ddr memory you can buy right now. if you wanna spend the cash that is. and i think it'd be a shame for you to spend big cash on that memory if you weren't planning to overclock your memory as well as your cpu to begin with. :D

i'd still get that pc3000 memory over the pc2700 regardless of the latency timings you have available. you still may be able to push that memory farther with higher frequency settings than other memory should you still choose to populate 2 memory slots.
that powersupply is good. the floppy really doesn't matter which one you get, they're all cheap, they're all slow. and i don't think many of us will wear one out anytime soon.

if money's no object, get the special edition wd. if you wanna save some money either get that maxtor or the regular wd.

That video card should satisfy you.

my preference for DVDs would be toshiba. specifically the sdm1612.

see it here:

http://www.toshiba.com/taissdd/products/features/SDM1612-Over.shtml

you might want to see if the onboard sound that comes with the motherboard satisfies you before i get the soundcard. i bet the soundcard sounds better, though, it's up to you.

at the front of the overclockers dot com site is an article about memory that totally applies to your two sticks versus one stick concerns. read it.

as far as the 2.5 with 2 sticks but 2.0 with one stick, i've read the same thing and i'd say it's true.

I have a p4s533 and i'm running it overclocked and it performs fine. i must say that i prefer the bios of an abit board though. i hate jumpers, and this asus still has a few that abit has done away with.

i also dislike the fact that i can't lock the pci freq like the abit boards can.

i think this board has some better memory ratio options than the abit boards do, if so then i can run my memory quite a bit faster on this board.

i don't know anything about the sb other than that the audigy line is good, for specifics i'd say go to creative's site and read up on it.

PEACE!
BdK:burn:

This is my actually computer that i purchased for cheap form googlegear.com

P4 1.8, 100fsb overclocked to 2.4 w/ 133fsb
512 MB corsair ddr400 @ 2.5 , 3 , 3, 6, 2T
Antec 430 watt truepower psu
Maxtor 740 diamondmax 40 gig ata 133
asus p4s533
gainward geforce 4 4400

i agree with bilydkid1970, get the cheap 1.8 and overclock it to 2.4... i did this and it was extremely simple. Vcore @ 1.7, temps 40c min and 50c at full load.

id get the Corsair CMX512-3200 400mhz 512Mb because the asus bios has a 4/6 setting which puts you at right at ddr 400 when u have ur 2.4 ghz 133 fsb...

heat - temps

hey lonelyintelguy-

your temps seem a tad high for a [email protected] to me.

i run a [email protected] and my min temps are in the low to mid 30s.

i'd think a 1.8 would run temps similar to my temps, if not better.

then again, you didn't mention your cooling choices.

also, are you running a recent version of asusprobe???

for cpu cooling, i run the Tt volcano 7+. This model comes with an adjustable speed switch so you can limit the noise from the fan when you're just cruising the net, and then crank it up when you're in a quake mood.

for case cooling, i'm running one Tt 80mm intake fan with a built in thermistor that speeds up the fan as needed. as well as one ystech exhaust.

I really like these type of Tt case fans - so much so that when i get my new case in a month or so - a chieftec with 4 80mm case fan mounts - i'm going to run 4 of these Tt fans with the thermistors - 2 intake, 2 exhaust. They're quiet most of the time and they do the job. i may add a blow hole to the side of the case as well to generate some positive pressure inside the case - plus they just look cool.

our systems are a little similar. i run ocz memory, and despite the bad rap they've gotten, my ocz runs at 220.5mhz (ddr441) with timings like yours (if i remember correctly). i use the 4/6 ratio too. i can run my cpu at 2.4ghz+, but backing off to a 147mhz fsb allowed me to open up that 4:6 cpu to memory ratio.

i run the same maxtor as you do. my ps is an enermax 431w.

anyway, i think you should be able to get your temps down a little bit, either that or you're running an earlier version of pcprobe. the newer versions report lower temp readings.

PEACE!
BdK:burn:

Back