• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Too Much Time On My Hands

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dsherm112

Iam disabled and have way too much free time on my hands. I fool around with computers and sometimes get myself into trouble. Currently 2 out of three are down. But let's just deal with one of them.

FIC VC-11, P 4 1.6, 256 mb Ram, Nvidia MX 400 Video, 40 gb hd, Enermax 350 watt

The CD rom died in another machine, so I decided to run an ide cable tfrom this machine to the other to load software. It didn't work and now I have two problems:

1. At boot I get a message, "Floppy drive failure (40)." I have tried 3 floppy drives and changed the cable. Everything looks ok in Bios. I have cleared cmos and reloaded the bios. The A drive shows up in My Computer, but doesn't work. Control Panel doesn't show any problems with the FD controller or floppy. They are both "Working properly".

2. It took a while to figure this out but the machine is using a CPU multiplier of 16. Prior to figuring this out it wouldn't boot at all. When I set the FSB to 100/33 it then booted. No matter what I do under Frequency/Voltage Control the multiplier is 16. It may say something else, but it uses 16. I have changed the multiplier, and all of the other choices here, i have even set it to default, but It always uses 16 for the multiplier.

My best guess is the Bios is corrupted. I'm not sure how what I did would cause this, but I don't know what else it could be.

Is there anything else i should consider?

Can someone help me out of this mess please Thanks.

Back