• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking ABit VH6-II, P3 1GHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TLFrey

I recently used the CPU database to get information on Overclocking my wife's computer and my computer.

My computer works great and I found all the database entries matched.

For my wifes computer, I had to wing it a little bit. In my case, I could not go above 1.95v and the database indicates 2.05v.

In any case, I got the machine to boot in a custom configuration and then when my daughter was playing a game the machine rebooted. I tried using a different game and the machine still rebooted. I then removed the overclocking settings and then the machine ran with out issue.

For certain, I know that this is not heat related. The machine for CPU and System are at 30 to 35 C.

Any ideas on what part of the overclocking could cause this behavior?

TLF

How high did you try to overclock?

The p3 1GHz were the highest of their generation of cpu core. Therefore it is prolly already close to design limits. You might get 100MHz or more out of it, but you will need better cooling and more voltage. BTW, I wouldnt go above 1.85~1.9 V you could seriously shorten the life of the chip.

If you are still keen, buy a big honking HSF(heatsink&fan), some Arctic silver thermal grease and have a read around on the web. Sounds like the rebooting could be heat related; a new HSF may help this.

I also first thought that it was temperature related and as I wrote in my message, none of the temperatures were above 40C and the default over heat temp is 50C.

I was using 9x at 133MHz for 1197MHz total.

According to the overclocker's CPU database, some one in Costa Rica claims to have it overclocked to 1255MHz, and at 2.05v.

Any other thoughts? Anyone?

TLF.

It seems thats the way it works with OCing, some chips can some cant, depends on a lot of things. It seems you are at about the high end for that chip for your setup. Try backing down until it gets stable. No reboots. No flaking at all, then you have a good OC. Sometimes after a while at one highest OC you will get it higher later. This is burning in and I think it relates to electrical pathways being established.

Back