• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1.8a cpu, please help me build new system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

therudyq3

OK ..first of all ...thanks to all who have replied and helped me with all my previous posts...
My goal is to get to 2.4 stable to play quake and frag theam all & let god sort them out later...LOL ..JK

I've decided the 1.8a is the cpu of choice.
I'm leaning toward the asus p4s533 and pc2700 either from samsung or corsair...samsung has that 4 panel llimitation. i eventually want to have 1 gig of memory. is it possible with this MB?

how/where/what to purchase my cpu with the right pack date etc...so that I can assure myself of a good chance of having the right cpu to overclock? because you never know which cpu u'll end up with. it's like a crap shoot. Or are all 1.8a very overclockable? to .24..

Do I really need an aftermarket HSF to OC this cpu to 2.4?? I saw from the database here that many used the stock HSF.

LOL.just tell me what I need to do..lol..my budget is around $400 USD... I was checking out newegg and googlegear.
Thanks all in advance for replying

P4S533

My 1.8A on P4S533 with 512MB Corsair PC3000C2 XMS (1 stick) was able to get 2.7GHz+ on STOCK HSF!

It was a bit hot runner, up to 60*C on 3-hour full load stressing.

I would recommend the best HSF available today - Swiftech MCX478 (you might consider rheostat to lower rpms on that crazy Delta fan, my rig runs deadly quiet on lowered rpms by FanMate yet with my regular 2.65GHz working speed at full load system never gets above 53*C).

:beer:

therudyq3 WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!! you will find a wealth of knowledge here, and ultimatelly (sorry for wrong spelling one of those uhh how do you spell it again moments...) figure out the exact components for your system... firstly BTW Quake 3 sucks and Medal of honor allied assult rocks its @$$!!!:D

but on to your problems... Basically you have a 99.99999999999 percent chance of getting a 1.8a to overclock to 2.4 ghz (well not really 99 i'd say more like 95 but close enough)... This is with the stock cooler... Although may i reccomend to you the p4 1.6A most people have been able to overclock this puppy to 2.4 (i'd say maybe an 82 percent chance ot getting it to overclcok to 2.6) of course you could use the stock heatsink and fan... but your temps will be a little on the hotter side, so i reccomend you overclcok the 1.6 to 2.133 and then buy a better heatsink and fan and then shoot for 2.4 if you want to go that way...

Secondly the asus p4s533 is a board with limitations which may be good for a beginnier like you, but just may wind up confuzing you. I can tell you that teh p4s533 is a really :mad:HOT:mad: buy, and a good deal of the people who are starting to make their new comps choose this board! It's a fairly good board, but as i don't have it i can't help you out with the abillity to install 1 gb of ram (i will tell you however that in the specs it say's it can support 2 gb of ram so i'm guessing 1 gb won't be a problem)...

however do note that a good deal of people with this board are having problems (due to not following instructions, corrupt hardware. etc. none of it is the boards fault but do be careful if you choose to get it).

hehe

"BTW Quake 3 sucks and Medal of honor allied assult rocks its @$$!!!"
hehe..i'll play ya a game in quake3 excessive..lol

onto my problems...
"Secondly the asus p4s533 is a board with limitations which may be good for a beginnier like you, but just may wind up confuzing you".....
what limititations are you referring to? please specify...thx

"however do note that a good deal of people with this board are having problems (due to not following instructions, corrupt hardware. etc. "
Yes I agree...I've beenr eading a lot of posts here as well as othre forums and found out that seems to be the case.

right now I feel most comfortable with this board simply becasue of all the facts that I've learn about it. And it's also an Asus. The p4b533-G does not officially support DDR333 and thus i believe is having problems with FSB above 130. Do you have any other board in mind that you would like to suggest?

hehe..i'll play ya a game in quake3 excessive..lol
sorry i only play rail.....

But anyhow the limitations i was referring to was that it only allows the fsb to go as high as 150fsb... this is bad because pretty soon you'll realize the addiction taht overclocking is... and 2.4 just won't sit with you anymore... so you'll think to yourself hmmm i wonder if i can squeeze out any more from my chip... and you then you won't be able to up the fsb any more past 150, so you'll always be left wondering... "Can my p4 chip do more?"

other boards..... why yes

THe Epox 4g4a is an excellent board.... along with
THe MSI 645E-MAXC
ummm off the top of my head i can also suggest The Epox 4sda+ (NOTE This does not support the new pentium 4 boards!) umm that should be enough for you to look into for now... let me know if you need more...

Darryl_D said:
therudyq3 WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!
Basically you have a 99.99999999999 percent chance of getting a 1.8a to overclock to 2.4 ghz (well not really 99 i'd say more like 95 but close enough)... This is with the stock cooler... Although may i reccomend to you the p4 1.6A most people have been able to overclock this puppy to 2.4 (i'd say maybe an 82 percent chance ot getting it to overclcok to 2.6)

I must comment that 1.8A would rather have much more than 99.99% chance to OC at 2.4GHz.
From what I've seen, 1.6A would have like 85-90% chance to hit 2.4GHz.

RE: Getting to 2.6GHz.
I would stringly recommend starting with 1.8A, especially for the beginners. Because of the very high USB (162+ MHz) necessary to get 1.6A to 2.6GHz, most likely most of the integrators will hit the PCI bottleneck (unless you do not have ANY PCI devices or your mobo has a feature to lock the PCI freq. - which is rare, most of the mobos have frequency devider built in and for a feature called "Lock Frequency" mobo must have it's own frequency generator. I didn't see any of those available to consumer (I might be wrong here but still it's not that common).

Hence by using 1.8A to reach 2.6GHz and above you have much better chance to stay within AGP/PCI specs.

:beer:

Check-X said:
unless of course you go with a TH7II board with locked PCI/AGP bus rates and RDRAM and OC your heart out!

Those boards have "true" locked PCI/AGP clock?
Not set by divider ratio like 3:4 4:5 4:6?

asus p4s533

I ordered the asus p4s533...and am glad i did it in time...since then they've been out of stock and restock at newegg a couple of times now...these boards are quite popular at newegg...the retail version that is...

Yep, New Egg has constantly running out of these mobos.
But they usually back in stock within a couple of days or so.
:D

Back