• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

p4s533 aux power connector?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

murdoch

Could someone give me some clarity on the aux power connector on this board. It seems to be just a four prong peripheral power connector like any harddrive connection.Not the standard 6 prong aux connector by intel's specs and like my enermax 350. The system boots and runs fine without it but was curious once I venture into the 133 fsb o/c would I need the aux connection for stability. Would it use any spare connector from the psu or should I leave it alone. I remember some boards a while back were getting burned out by the aux connection so I figured I would ask first not like asus gives any great documentation on the issue.I haven't been able to get into their downloads section if it weren't for a few links posted by you guys, great job,and your advice would aprecitated.

Thats not an AUX connector, that is an ATX12v connection (Intels ATX Revisions). Normally, if you have an ATX12V PSU, it would have an ATX12V connector (Square 2x2). I am at 142FSB on a P4T-E w/o the ATX12v or the Aux (which is like one of the two AT Connectors). My 12V rail does run low though, as does the v-core. The ATX12v only supplies 2 extra 12v lines to the motherboard (supposedly, the CPU). It might help in stability, but it didnt change a thing for me. If you dont have one, you could make your own. Just get a spare ATX Connector, find out with 2x2 segment of it will fit, cut it out, and look up ATX12v and find which connectors go where (hint: there are 2 12v and 2 grounds.) I used a glue gun to keep the cables in place.

Edit: And about the aux connector, many have reported board deaths and instability from it, I assume that is because it is meant for boards with a lot of stuff taking power (a lot of PCI devices, ETC). I predict that the board got overvolted and died because of too much power.

Direct From Asus' Pages

ASUS EZ Plug™
The ASUS EZ Plug™ power connector lets you use your existing power supply and eliminates the need to buy a special ATX 12V power supply necessary to support your P4 CPU.

I don't have this board, and don't claim to know any more than I read, but according to some of the things I have read, this plug in fact replaces the now traditional 2X2 aux. 12V plug, allowing you to use any spare molex connection to supply these extra 12V lines.

Check out Asus reference on this board to varify for yourself.

SkyHook

Thanks skyhook but I think I made my point clear. Also, he doesn't have one of those (he did say he had a 2x2 ATX12v connector)

I also heard that Asus STOPPED using those and started using the 2x2 ones at Intel's request. In pics of all i850 Asus boards I see (IE P4T-E, P4T533-C), I see only 2x2 connectors. Like I said, though, you can buy or make your own 2x2 to 4x1 adapter.

Whatever

It seems to be just a four prong peripheral power connector like any harddrive connection.

That is what the man said and that is what I found for him referencing his question.

This comes directly from the .pdf version of the manual for that board:

Yeah the AUX connector is if you have an older PSU that doesn't have the INTEL standard 2x2 12V connector, you can use the Molex connector from your PSU to power the 12V line.

I have also found that by plugging both the INTEL 2x2 12V connector & the AUX onnector I get a higher more stable 12V line.... just my experience. :)

All right. I havent touched any 845 Intel boards yet :/. Ive only really had a P4T and a P4T-E. Both have 2x2 12v, not 4x1. They also have that 6x1 aux. I dont use them.

clear as mud...

The intended application of that extra connector on these motherboards is for people that have older non P4 compliant atx power supplies.

and yes, it is a 4 pin power connector just like on your hard drive - it's designed so you can plug one of those "hard drive power connectors" into your motherboard.

if you don't have a newer p4 compliant atx power supply with the other special p4 plug on it, asus wants you to consider their boards with the ez-plug since you won't necessarily have to buy a special new p4 compliant powersupply. i.e. you can still use your old powersupply and save yo
ur money.

i'd say your powersupply is decent, and should be able to supply enough current to keep your 12vdc line plenty stiff using the "appropriate" special built in p4 12v connector, even when it's overclocked.

i'd leave that connector alone for starters. if it turns out to be stable - no worries - if not, take the chance.

i had a cheapo powersupply - and i used both the appropriate p4 and that ezplug connector and nothing bad happened to my board. i ended up buying an enermax in the end and now only have the appropriate p4 plug connected - by appropriate i mean the 2x2 plug - and i don't intend to say there's anything wrong with the ezplug.

i'm not sure how that ezplug would burn out a board though. there's a 12vdc line that connects to the cpu, the "appropriate" 2x2 p4 plug has a 12vdc line the connects to the cpu as well.

the 12vdc lines from both plugs may actually be wired in parallel and having 12vdc applied to both may be of no consequence other than to provide less resitance between the powersupply's 12vdc source and the cpu's 12vdc inputs.

somebody who has their case open should take a meter and read the ez plug connector on their motherboard with with the p4 2x2 plug connected and see if 12vdc is present at the ezplug, as well as read the p4 2x2 connector with the ezplug connected to see if 12vdc is present at the p4 plug.

if, as i suspect, 12vdc is already there at each connectors' pins when one is connected and the other is not, then connecting an additional plug with the same 12vdc signal on the other connector will do nothing to damage the board.

PEACE!
BdK

:burn:

I was referring to the AUX connector, which powers the board. It has been known to damage boards (the AUX is the 6x1, like one AT connector.

not you silly

i was responding in response to the original question, i was not responding to your response.

the originator referred to an aux 1x4 connector like the hard drives use and wanted to know if he'd damage the board using it with the 2x2 p4 connector in addition to the connectors he's already using.

and that 1x4 "hard drive type" connector he referred to is labeled AUX12V1 in the asus manual as well as on the motherboard.

which is where i guess i went wrong. i paid attention to his question, then i read the manual.

that's what i get for trying, huh.

:p
PEACE
BdK

I got confused because AUX normalyl refers to 6x1 connectors. Its referred to as AUX12V because its the Auxiliary 12v connector.

Yeah the term aux is what got me too. So here's straight from the horse's mouth the answer asus gave me.
The AUX 12V power connector is ASUS ez plug which lets you use your existing power supply and eliminates the need to buy a special
ATX 12V power supply necessary to support your P4 CPU. what u need do is to connect it with peripheral connector from the powersupply
And if you have 2.03 standard ATX power ,you may just connect one of AUX 12V1 or ATX 12V1 (only one of them).

what i dont understand is that all the psu's i bought that were p4 ready had the other connection, and dont all the psu's that have the other connector have it also???

There are three basic connectors. ATX12v (a 2x2 connector), AUX, a 6x1 connector, and MOLEX, a 4x1 connector. The first 2 are ONLY on P4 Compatible PSU's. On some Asus Motherboards, they have a special ATX12v port that lets you plug in a MOLEX, just in case you dont have a P4 Compatible PSU. Mine is not P4 compatible, so I built my own Molex to ATX12v adapter.

Back