• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4b533 Vs. P4S533

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

therudyq3

Which of these MB would you choose to go with P4 1.8a Northwood?
I was thinking of Samsung PC2700 512 MB...the goal is to overclock it to 2.4 and beyond...and stable
Thanks

Well no problems using a GF4 ti4600 on the epox 4sda+.
That's what I use and it's a good board for overclocking the 1.8a.

That "problem" may just be something else besides the motherboard.

Ask in the asus section if anyone is using that board with a ti4600 without a problem.

Problem?

Well, Haven't noticed any problems on P4S533 so far.

We have two boxes built on this mobo and mainboard is an excellent performer.

Yet, one of the boxes uses Leadtek Ti4600 and another one uses Abit Ti4400.

NO PROBLEMS WERE DETECTED and both systems were heavily tested under days of CPU/GPU/Mem stress tests.

Also I have couple of friends who built their rigs on P4S533 and both of them have GeForce4 cards (4400 or 4600 - not certain).
So I wouldn't say that P4S533 has GeForce4 problem.

Re: That forum on Anandtech, it's looks like the guy has some hardware setup problem or bad GeForce4 card.

:rolleyes:

BTW

I do recommend P4S533 that uses much faster chipset SiS645DX rather than P4B533 wih so-so 845E.

Yet get better than Pc2700 memory.

I would recommend Corsair's XMS PC3000C2 or PC3200 (which is the same stick).

You would be able to go 2.4GHz on P4/1.8A with stock fan and no headache.

With a little effort I was able to exceed 2.7GHz on 1.8A chip even on stock HSF (That was a bit too hot though, but who cares - it was 50% overclock on stock CPU !!!)

:beer:

DMI & Placid

BTW where did u guys get ur p4 1.8a ?? how long ago and what pack date was on it?
I wonder if it makes any difference where/what date i should purchase the 1.8a....i don't wanna get a dud that won't overclock.....any ideas?
thx!!!

I got mine at newegg. Pack date of may 2nd.
It's a costa rica chip.
The 1.8a I had before had a pack date of december 26.
A maylay chip.

The new one is better but the old one still did 2450.

Re: that's awesome

therudyq3 said:
that's awesome DMI....actually the p4b533-G would be the one that I may consider outside of the p4s533...I saw this review on memory and a few others that points to the samsung as the better pc2700 to get...
http://www.ocprices.com/index.php?c...71&PHPSESSID=b2cd20b4c6aec0a47153d8250101faf7

I'm definitely leaning towards the p4s533.....maybe i just need to go ahead and do it LOL

You MUCH better off with Corsair XMS PC3000C2/PC3200 (which is the same). That's the best DDR stick available today and I have it running @ 2-3-3-5-T1 CAS2 185MHz DDR370 100% stable.

I really really doubt that any of the PC2700 can come close to it.

:cool:

2.5-2-2 1t here with samsung original at 208mhz 416ddr 100% stable. I have had it at 220mhz for kicks but my cpu likes 139fsb.
I think I got a better than average stick thou.

Placid said:
2.5-2-2 1t here with samsung original at 208mhz 416ddr 100% stable. I have had it at 220mhz for kicks but my cpu likes 139fsb.
I think I got a better than average stick thou.

Nice specs.

Yet CAS2.5 at 200MHz is almost as good as CAS2 at 166MHz performancewise.

Not on my board. The trcd setting makes the most difference.
The stick I have will run up to 185mhz at 2-2-2 1t.
I tested 170 cas 2 and cas 2.5 got a 10 point difference in sandra mem.

Placid said:
Not on my board. The trcd setting makes the most difference.
The stick I have will run up to 185mhz at 2-2-2 1t.
I tested 170 cas 2 and cas 2.5 got a 10 point difference in sandra mem.

Is it just plain Samsung PC2700 512MB stick? Where did you get it?

Original samsung, meaning made by samsung.
I bought it from newegg. The new stuff shipping isn't as good thou it has 220 chips. The best ones have 211 or 217 chips.
I think samsung is binning the better yeilds for the true 3200 (400) coming out soon.

Picture of it here
attachment.php

oh you ddr ers' RDRAM rules you all *calms down* okay here goes.. p4b-533 i read has got some probs with it... for instance when trying to overclcok to high and the cpu is under stress popel have gotten beeps... like random beeps every time their processors were put understress... turns out they needed to do a volt mod, and pump more voltage into their processor....

I was looking at the p4s533 at a time.... It's a good board, i built a system with it for a friend. We (or rather i should say I, he on the other hand... well that's a different story) had no problems with it... It was easy to install, very overclockable... we used a gf3 so i can't really tell you anything about the gf4 problem you guys were discussing...

appreciate the info

Thanks Darryl_D.....thx for the info!!! I see much more p4s533 MB in the cpu database than i see p4b533...of course the p4b533 is relatively new.....

Thanks Darryl_D.....thx for the info!!! I see much more p4s533 MB in the cpu database than i see p4b533...of course the p4b533 is relatively new.....
no prob man!

and don't worry both boards are fast as ****!!! I'm sure it's a win win situation... normally people don't care about a 2-3 fps difference in 3dmark or other such benchmarks... ONLY WHEN BATTLING THOSE CRAZY AMD PEOPLE DOES THIS BECOME IMPORTANT... but back on the light side (intel) all is well...

well..

I found some post at anandtech that some people have problems with this board (p4s533) due to incorrect installing the 3 power plugs from the PSU to the MB. And some occasionally have problems with the agp driver. But nothing conclusive.

i went to order it from newegg but they're out of stock!! arrrrrrggg..apparently, this p4s533 retail board is quite popular, as well as the Samsung pc2700 512MB...it's out of stock at newegg too!!! oh well patience is a virtue ...so that i won't cross over to the dark side :)

Back