• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mixing ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

plizzo

i just got 2 256 mb sticks of crucial pc2100. is it ok to mix this with my 512 stick of ocz pc2700? am i better off just using the crucial and putting the ocz in another system? and if i do mix them, dows it matter what order i put them in the board?
actually, i'll lay out what i have and maybe someoen can suggest how i divide the sticks among my two systems:
1 - 512 mb ocz pc2700
1 - 512 mb generic pc2100
2 - 256 mb crucial pc2100
1 - 128 mb mushkin pc2100
my two systems to divide it among are in my sig.
thanks...

It is better to keep like brands together and the fewer the better. Example: 1 stick of 512 is better than 2 sticks of 256.

There seems to be better performance that way, but thats not to say you CAN'T use more than 1 stick.

Follow me?

In theory, it really shouldn't matter if you mix and match sticks of RAM in your system. It also shouldn't matter which order you populate the DIMM slots unless there is a special guideline mentioned in the the motherboard's manual. Be aware, however, that you will only be able to run as fast as your slowest stick of ram is capable. For example, if you use the autodectect RAM timing feature of your motherboard populated by a stick of PC2700 and a stick of PC2100, your motherboard will run at 133MHz (Assuming you don't manually force it to a higher speed). You may was to do a little experimenting to see which combo of RAM will give you the amount you want as well as the overclocked memory clock you want (Assuming you want to overclock).

Geoff

Forgot to mention... I put my RAM in with the largest stick in the 0/1 DIMM slot and go smaller on out.

0/1=biggest
2/3=next smallest
4/5=next smallest
etc, etc.

But like I said, the most RAM with less sticks is best.

thanks guys, i'll test out a few different combos this week and see what gets me the most stable at the best speeds.
thanks again for the replies.

512 is plenty of RAM and the 1 stick should do fine in a system.
But the Crucial and Mushkin are some of the top RAM and do very well with overclocking.

Back