• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Vcore to OC a P4 1.8A @ 2.4 using P4S533?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Strike-Eagle

Registered
Hello,

According to your knowledge, tests and experience...

1) Which is the best (and low) Vcore to overclock an Intel P4 1.8A to 2.4 and mantain the system totally stable?

2) If it is needed to do vid-pin... What vid-pin? 1.65? 1.70? 1.75? 1.80 1.85?

3) What about additional BIOS settings?

4) And considering a Costa Rican P4 1.8A?

I don't want more than 2.4 Ghz. Just 133 FSB to use the CPU/PCI 1/4 divider.

With your help and my today order of an Antec TruePower 550W PSU, Arctic Silver III thermal paste and AVC Sunflower heatsink... Maybe... I can rise my 'slow' 1.8A to 2.4!

Thank you in advance!!!

Best regards and sorry for my poor knowledge to write in English.

knowledge and experience

well, the knowledge and experience i have won't necessarily apply to your circumstance, as i've only built one p4 system - and that's likely true for many of us here in these forums.

as far as the vid mod, i'd venture to say that it's not likely that you'll have to do a vid mod at all - since you ONLY want to run your fsb at 133mhz. i'd say you should be able to achieve that using the available options built into the motherboard's bios, and the .1/.2 cpu voltage jumper on the motherboard if the bios doesn't give you enough voltage to get things going.

i have a [email protected] using a voltage of 1.7vdc. and it runs fine.

why did you choose the sunflower for your heatsink/fan in this application???

PEACE!
-BdK:burn:

and, by the way

i forgot to mention that i have a costa rican, and it OCd fine for me.

as far as bios settings, that's a big question with alot of answers. there are so many settings in your bios, you'd be better served by one of the bios HOWTOs that are all over the net.

i think there's a sticky at the top of the forum's memory thread that links to a good bios settings explanation site.

basically, some of your bios settings are determined by the type of hardware you install, and sometimes as well as how much you're willing to deviate from those stock specs as well if your bios allows it. other bios settings are just personal preference, like power saving features, bootsector virus tools, etc.

how to tweak a bios is something i feel every system builder should learn.

but, be prepared, some tweaks in search of your systems absolute limits can lead to undesirable results.

so far, the worst thing that's happened to me is having to reformat and reinstall my OS (which is a pain). it's just a sacrafice the overclocking gods demanded when i got too aggressive with my memory settings (more than once i might add!)

back up your important data.

PEACE!
BdK

:burn:

1) Which is the best (and low) Vcore to overclock an Intel P4 1.8A to 2.4 and mantain the system totally stable?

It varies from chip to chip, basically set it at the FSB you want it at and start upping the voltage one setting at a time til you get the chip stable. Keep an eye on your temps while your working your way up too, more voltage=more heat.

Thank you for your answers.

I have another interesting question for you:

Are there any utility or program that I can run in pure DOS mode that check the cpu & memory integrity and well run of the system?

Something like prime95 but for DOS.

If there are some program like this, then I can start my PC with a boot diskette and run the program WITHOUT start Windows and avoid possible crashes and Windows corruption.

With this method the only problem is know the current CPU temp but with a quick Ctrl+Alt+Del and jumping to the BIOS I can know the 10 seconds ago temp of my CPU and board.

Thank you!

both me and one of my friend's have Asus p4s533s with p4 1.8s @ 2.4 (133 fsb) and they are rock solid.

Ours are both have a 1.7 vcore with the bios vcore monitoring turned off (so if it spikes above 1.7 the computer does not power down) and the temps are 40 C @ low use and 50 C @ full load, but i did get to 51 C one time running Jedi Knight II with 32 bots and specing one. We use $12 thermaltake cpu heat sink fan that runs 4500 rpm.

we are also running a 512 stick of Corsair DDR 400 at the 4:6 setting with 2.5, 3,3,6,2T & 430 watt antec truepower PSUs

the bios on the 533 is very simple just switch from 1800 to 2400 mhz and up the vcore and set ur memory correctly and then its done... good luck ! :)

Strike-Eagle said:

If there are some program like this, then I can start my PC with a boot diskette and run the program WITHOUT start Windows and avoid possible crashes and Windows corruption.

That's an interesting idea, but I don't know any such program. I wouldn't need one, anyway, as I just take one of my old IBM HDs (75GXP, 60GXP), which are self-destructive in nature anyway :D So if I need to optimize my system and do stability tests, I unplug everything but take an old HD with that sole purpose if for stress-testing (OS, Prime95, 3Dmark2001, Asus Probe, Norton Disk Doctor). That way, I don't hurt my main HDs.

My 1.8 is at 2.4 with 1.65 Vcore on a P4T533-C. Very stable . Runs at 52 C full load.

Noc

Just finished burning in my P4/[email protected] on Alpha HSF with Panaflo (system very quiet). I am using 1.85v vid mod.

As of my previous tests to get reliable system cold boot having FSB142-144 and higher you have to go with vid mod.

In case of 133MHz SB no vid mod required, also I would increase CPU Vcore to 1.575 or 1.600 to prevent voltage drop on full load that may cause a system crash.

RE: temps, this CPU is a real beast, I was trying to kill my Norhwood with CPU Stability Test burn-in and P4 was holding up VERY STABLE for 8 hours with 1.85V CPU Vcore and full load temps 59*C (max)! It was kinda hot with amb temp around 28-29*C.

Anyways, anything below 142MHz FSB will require jumper/BIOS voltage increase only. Above 144MHz FSB your system will start having troubles on cold boot (i.e. turn off system and disonnect AC for 10-15 sec then boot again).

:beer:

Back